Pond potting soil

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm trying to transplant waterlilies into planting baskets so they don't take over my pond again but it's my first time using pond potting soil. I had to line the basket because particles were still going through the holes. (Is plastic burlap from feed sacks safe for this? )
After it wad submerged a day or so I noticed what looks like punk slime at the top...is that normal?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No clue I just use kitty litter, the slime.

The feed bags, rinsed, might be ok, can't see them leaching.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I use geotextile underlayment to line my mesh pots, never used the plastic burlap. I use some clay soil from my yard topped with kitty litter. When I used to use just kitty litter in the mesh pots, I found it helpful to give it a rinse before placing in the pond to get rid of the fines. What brand of soil are you using? If the plastic sack is supposed to be biodegradable, perhaps it is breaking down in the water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would recommend a planter with no holes for lilies - they need to be contained. I use the pots that are sold for this purpose - I think they call them lotus pots at most garden centers - or I use a plastic dish pan or an oil pan - the kind you would buy if you were going to change your own oil. Anything that's solid with no holes. Holds the dirt AND keeps the plant from escaping.

No clue on the pink (?) slime though.

Ask a Question