Pond water volume calculator

Reaction score
Hello all , I am new here . I would like to know if you know how to calculate the volume of a circular pond that is approx. 6 ft. across and 3 1/2 ft deep ? Or is there a website where I can insert the numbers into a volume calculator ?
Thanks for any help.
stephen

Reaction score
Thankyou Jason ! I am thinking about digging a little deeper in the middle for extra volume , I am very interested in keeping a few Koi.
stephen.

Reaction score
I'm not expert but you need much bigger for koi. Like over 2000Gal. some different kinds of gold fish would be nice and some of them look like koi.

Reaction score
generally folks recommend a minimum of 250 gallons per Koi and 100 gallons per goldfish. need to have a minimum of 4 ft of depth too.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Again, mis-information. This is their opinion, not based on facts!

I have had ponds for 42 years and non have been anywhere near 4 foot in depth.

DoDad posted a nice guide on fish load. There is no hard and fast rule on the number, it is based on filtration, circulation, areation and due diligence.

hap

Reaction score
Stephennj said:
Hello all , I am new here . I would like to know if you know how to calculate the volume of a circular pond that is approx. 6 ft. across and 3 1/2 ft deep ? Or is there a website where I can insert the numbers into a volume calculator ?
Thanks for any help.
stephen

square and rectangle ponds:
length x width x average depth = volume of pond

round ponds:
top diameter x bottom diameter x height x 0.785 = volume of pond.

Converting volume to U.S. gal. / liters:
cubic feet (ft3) x 7.48 = U.S. gal
cubic meters (m3) x 1000 =liters

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Again, mis-information. This is their opinion, not based on facts! I have had ponds for 42 years and non have been anywhere near 4 foot in depth.

our original pond was 41 inches at the deepest--new one is 36 on the side, 48 at one shallow end and 72 at the deepest end. my concern is with cold temps. i also like the depth for safety from predators.

as for opinion vs. facts. You are right in pointing out that what I said is an opinion based on listening/reading a lot of other peoples' comments and experiences. I'm not sure what actual facts you might be talking about, i.e. hard science. does it exist? has anyone done studies varying volumes and depths. what would they measure to draw conclusions--growth rates, disease rates, reproduction rates?

seems to me studies like these would be hard to do and very time consuming, i.e. have to go over the course of a few years at least.

But you did help me with one thing. I remembered I'm too much of a newbie myself to do anything but report my own experience. Shouldn't be giving any advice.

Ask a Question