Pre-filter for pump to feed pressured filter

Reaction score
I've got a 700GPH pump in the pond with door screening over the intake. It clogs every few days and reduced dlow a lot. Easy to drag up and clean but starting to be a pain now.

Pump was inside another filter I took apart, so I used the screen door stuff to keep stuff out of the impeller.

Has anyone made there own pre-filter? I need to fix this, driving me crazy.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
I made a pre filter for my 350 gal pond that was really ment to remove any really large things from getting into my pump. I took a section of 4" ABS pipe that was about 6" long. Then I put a 4" ABS Cap onto it. Didn't bother gluing it together. I took and used a saw to cut slits into it but you can just as easy (probably easier) to just drill a million little holes into it, at the size you want to allow things to enter. You can size the pipe down with fittings to whatever you need to attach it to your pump. I attached a 4"ABS toilet flange with silicone to the side of my liner (I have a old hot tub as my liner) just over the pipe bulkhead. This allows me to remove it when cleaning (shouldn't be necessary very often) by just pulling the pipe from the flange.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i use tetra pond prefilters... theyre about a foot long and 8" round they come with bio media(matala) in them; i took it out. theyve not clogged on me. and i once in a while reach in with a broom and pull the larger debri away and string alge from it, everything seems to stick to the broom. they have them at Lowes. $19.99 i beleive. work real well!! the sprinler parts section has all the adapters to convert to any size hose. lowes also has up to 1&1/4 hose. i run 2 of them so i pull water from different areas of the pond

Ask a Question