Prime

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I just read that chloramines do not evaporate which is alarming to me because I never pretreated my pond with PRIME when it was first set up (thinking that a couple of weeks without fish would give it plenty of time to dissipate) Can I treat my pond with it now with fish and plants already in it with no bad effects?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have you ever tested your city water or went on the health departments sight to see what they add to the water . I have a well and after a heavy rain I test my water and my well is over 400 feet in the ground . In my area wells are known to get lead sometimes after heavy rain and I think that is because most wells here are drilled only down to 200 feet . Water test kits are at most hardware stores but my county provides 2 kits a year for home owners free , I pay them to ship them because the office is way over 2 hours away

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Are you having an issue with ammonia that is concerning you, thus the need to treat? If you're not having any problems, or your water tests aren't showing anything concerning, I'd not worry. Although, for future reference, I believe Prime is extremely safe & effective for water treatment + ammonia binding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
have you ever tested your city water or went on the health departments sight to see what they add to the water . I have a well and after a heavy rain I test my water and my well is over 400 feet in the ground . In my area wells are known to get lead sometimes after heavy rain and I think that is because most wells here are drilled only down to 200 feet . Water test kits are at most hardware stores but my county provides 2 kits a year for home owners free , I pay them to ship them because the office is way over 2 hours away
I have RO at the kitchen sink so I never had the need before. Always had a well before I moved here...
I will give them a call...thank you

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I always had city water in NJ and moved here to retire and now have well water since 2004 . I had a modular house built to my specks put on a basement and just love it . My little piece of heaven

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Are you having an issue with ammonia that is concerning you, thus the need to treat? If you're not having any problems, or your water tests aren't showing anything concerning, I'd not worry. Although, for future reference, I believe Prime is extremely safe & effective for water treatment + ammonia binding.
No issues at all except for a high phosphate level. I put a pack of PhosX in my biofalls last night to try and bring the level down (they put phosphates in my city water to cut down on pipe erosion) Thank you for this information:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Even though all tests (API Master kit) show that everything is fine my concern is that if chloramines don't dissipate then my pond water has them in there from the initial fill.. Will this harm my fish in the long run?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
high phosphate level
thats due to the water department adding that to your water. as odd as it is the phosphate helps prevent pipes from being eaten by the treated city waters.

do you treat the water before you drink it? the levels and chemicals are not so high that it will kill by any means it is at a level to slow or prevent issues.. heck if we all knew where our drinks water came from........ Budweiser in N.H took water from the merrimack river right below where two major cities dump there treated sewage into the water. Ignorance is bliss Wells have there shortcomings but they also have their benefits

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Even though all tests (API Master kit) show that everything is fine my concern is that if chloramines don't dissipate then my pond water has them in there from the initial fill.. Will this harm my fish in the long run?
I tend to not go looking for trouble, so if all testing is coming out OK & the fish are acting fine... I don't worry. However, if you're at all concerned, then go ahead & dose the pond with Prime. It won't hurt anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
thats due to the water department adding that to your water. as odd as it is the phosphate helps prevent pipes from being eaten by the treated city waters.

do you treat the water before you drink it? the levels and chemicals are not so high that it will kill by any means it is at a level to slow or prevent issues.. heck if we all knew where our drinks water came from........ Budweiser in N.H took water from the merrimack river right below where two major cities dump there treated sewage into the water. Ignorance is bliss Wells have there shortcomings but they also have their benefits ...My concern is after finding out that chloramines don't dissipate will the amount added in my initial fill cause my fish long term damage? Should I add prime now to the whole pond or should I stop worrying since my water quality tests all come back fine

I tend to not go looking for trouble, so if all testing is coming out OK & the fish are acting fine... I don't worry. However, if you're at all concerned, then go ahead & dose the pond with Prime. It won't hurt anything.
My user name should be Worrywort....As soon as I read that chloramines cause gill problems I started googling and of course it got worse from then on...I think I will chill on this:) Thanks BKH!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States

do you treat the water before you drink it? the levels and chemicals are not so high that it will kill by any means it is at a level to slow or prevent issues.. heck if we all knew where our drinks water came from........ Budweiser in N.H took water from the merrimack river right below where two major cities dump there treated sewage into the water. Ignorance is bliss Wells have there shortcomings but they also have their benefits
Ugh! (Budweiser) that's sick! I have a RO system for drinking water:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i some how doubt the water from coors showing the rockies a a pure water source is what it actually is either

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I always laugh at the names of so called pure water come on bear creek and deer creek yummy bear and deer pee . I watched a show on youtube where they tested those so called pure waters and the tests all showed bacteria and lots of bottled water has salt in it . just type in youtube bottled water tests IT IS SCARY I ALSO SAW ONE ON TV THAT TESTED THOSE WATERS ON THE HEALTH CHANNEL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
My user name should be Worrywort....As soon as I read that chloramines cause gill problems I started googling and of course it got worse from then on...I think I will chill on this:) Thanks BKH!
Hi, Rubyduby, from Pinellas County, where we add chloramines to our water and the county water people say aquariums and fish pond people should do some conditioning (kidney dialysis patients, too). When I built my pond, I added water conditioner of some sort (API, maybe?) since it was the whole pond fill, but from then on, as I've added water to top off, I haven't conditioned it regularly, and everybody seems fine, but maybe I'll be more consistent and condition as I add water. Your fish and their BA-BIES seem to be doing fine, so maybe add Prime/ conditioner as you top off the pond, but not overly worry now.
Perhaps I will change my user name to "Worrywort2".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hi, Rubyduby, from Pinellas County, where we add chloramines to our water and the county water people say aquariums and fish pond people should do some conditioning (kidney dialysis patients, too). When I built my pond, I added water conditioner of some sort (API, maybe?) since it was the whole pond fill, but from then on, as I've added water to top off, I haven't conditioned it regularly, and everybody seems fine, but maybe I'll be more consistent and condition as I add water. Your fish and their BA-BIES seem to be doing fine, so maybe add Prime/ conditioner as you top off the pond, but not overly worry now.
Perhaps I will change my user name to "Worrywort2".
LOL…so funny SarahT..thank you for chiming in. It is always helpful to hear from neighbors:) my daughter is so chill but I think as you get older and have seen a lot that can go wrong you become a bit gun shy…I mainly became a worrywort because my Husband was the opposite:)

Ask a Question