Pump died...so did my koi

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
Murphy's law at it again. If something will go wrong it almost always happens when your away. Fate is such a wicked gall isn't she.

Those fish sound expensive too. I feal for you. Will you replace?

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
Update...

I'm sick and tired of the shitty submergible pumps.

In september, the 3-month-old-pump died, and I replaced it with a new one.

Today, the 1-month-old-pump died.

I reinstated my 7-year-old-pump and ran it to keep the water circulated. Hey, if it has worked for the past 7 years, it should hold up until Summer 2013. Then I will have more time to look for a better pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Weve only ever used in line dry pumps i;e connected to pipes coming from the filters its mean and lean and so far has withstood everything that has been thrown at it .
This includes getting K1 filter media stuck in it , you'd have thought thats it the pump is U/S so better buy a new one no telling how long the K1 has been stuck there.
We remobed the pump to look atit took out the K1 put it back in line and wow it started as though nothing had happened too it.
It may mean re-thiinking your filtration but thats a small price to pat for peace of mind .
We have an Oase 3500 it does our 1,000 imperial gallon pond in its sleep lol well worth the money

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, Craig58, that is fantastic info. I don't understand the oxygen levels changing , but the heat wave we had in UK last week caused my fish a lot of stress. I depend on the sunlight to oxygenate my small pond through solar panel aerators and pump, but the pond must have warmed up too much for them to make a difference. I lost two of my biggest fish and the others are still struggling. The weather is cooler now but overcast. Big problem. How do I check out the oxygen levels and water temp?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a question? I have about a 500 gallon koi pond and during the summer my water evaporates every few days. I have hard water and everytime I fill it back up i kill a fish. What do I have to do to stop killing them?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sorry to hear of your fish died. You need lots of cool running water for big koi in heat wave. If the two biggest koi died then they ran out of oxygen as the biggest fish need more oxygen than small fish. Also Koi do best in cool water like trout. They are NOT tropical fish but cold water fish. My koi are very big and very old and have been outside in Canada all winter with ice cold running water all winter long. Koi do best is cold water. Get some ice chunk's in your water to cool it off. No need for heater in UK in winter as your winter is not cold enough. Ice on pond ok as long as water is running underneath the ice all winter long. Also if you winter your fish all winter long outside then they will be less likely to get disease. My koi have been outside and alive in -40 below Zero with ice cold running water since 1991. I do heat the water to keep the ice down, but water still ice cold at barely above freezing all winter long. Never had a sick koi. Keep them healthy in ice cold running water .

Ask a Question