Pump in Skimmer or in the Pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I just don't understand the concept of this system.I would think that most particles would sink to the bottom of the pond.It seems that the skimmer is sending cleaner water from the top to the filter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Skimmers are supposed to be for leaves and stuff that floats on the top .I never have had a skimmer and do not miss one .If stuff blows in I use a pool net .I also prefer 2 pumps over 1 pump and an aerator with 12 airstones and 1 of them in each filter.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I've had a skimmer but fish always get into it and after 1 or 2 died in the skimmer, I got rid of it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The skimmer is designed to do exactly that - skim debris off the surface BEFORE it gets a chance to sink to the bottom. Some debris will still get into the pond, but the skimmer does help. As far as the surface water being "cleaner" - I think you'll find that a waterfall at the opposite end does a good job of mixing the water that's been through the filter with the rest of the pond.

You'll get mixed reviews on skimmers. I personally think a skimmer gives a pond surface a nice sparkle because it also removes the dust, pollen and other microscopic debris that collects on the surface by keeping it moving to the skimmer. And if you have trees around the pond, be prepared to do frequent scooping to keep the leaves out. The flip side is that you do have to clean the skimmer basket and the frequency of that task will depend on the amount of debris you get in the pond. And people do find that fish or frogs or other small creatures can get caught up in a skimmer.

So I guess it's really a matter of personal choice. We built our pond with a negative edge so we get the skimming action without the upkeep of a skimmer.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Skimmers do nothing for fish poo on the bottom of the pond and to me do not give a good mix of pond water to the filter .I agree some skimmers can kill also .One of my pond friends had a bird get sucked in the skimmer ,she had one of those floating island planters and it got close to skimmer all the time and guessing the bird got caught in the mix .I think she put a video on you tube from her security cameras .I Would not look at it .:(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Skimmers do nothing for fish poo on the bottom of the pond

True. But neither does a net. Whether or not you're getting a "good mix" of water to the filter or not is interesting, but I can't help but watch my waterfall and think that it's doing a pretty good job of mixing things up! Another case of personal preference!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a pipe from my pump that runs around the bottom of the pond with holes drilled in it and water swish's around the bottom of the pond .I have a straight 1 also from the other pump down the middle and they get turned off come winter by a ball valve .That is why I only run the smaller pump come winter and when it ices it goes off .I also have 2 airstones on the bottom of the pond for summer

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I run only 2 laguna pumps and they only use 45 and 65 watts right now and I cleaned them yesterday with the new sprayer I bought and boy did it save time .The aerator runs 35 watts with 12 air stones

Attachments

• 100_5759.JPG
    100_5759.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 186

Ask a Question