pump for bog filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was about to order a Laguna MaxDrive pump for a bog filter I am putting in this weekend. What are the uses of a direct drive vs mag drive pumps? Which one is a better application for a bog filter setup?

Then I looked at the watts and almost fell over.

upload_2017-7-28_11-1-15.png

The MagFlo series appears to be much more efficient and my pond is only 4 feet. Any reason I can't go with this one below. My pond is about 1800G. Willing to look at other pumps, looked at Laguna as I currently have a 5 year old MaxFlo 2000 which has been problem free.

upload_2017-7-28_11-4-6.png

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It can also depends on the size of the hose .I found the bigger the hose the less wattage the lagunas used and the more water flow I got

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
i've notice pumps which are not direct drive have lower head limits. Does that mean that the pumps are more for deep ponds to have enough power to push the water up farther? If thats the reason for the high wattages, I can probably go with a mag or similar design.

Ask a Question