Help with sizing bog pump...

Reaction score
Planning on building a bog next to my pond and I need help in figuring out what size pump I need.
Pond is 6500 gallons.
Waterfall filter has been the only filter till now. I just installed a 100 gallon Skippy filter.
I have pool pumps running each of these, so I'm not sure of the gph.

The bog will be approx. 350 gallons. Do I calculate the pump using the pond gallons or the bog gallons? Or somewhere inbetween. I've read that there should be a slower flow through the bog.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why are you using pool pumps? they are real power hogs.

You could get one pond pump around a little higher than 6500 gph, divide you outflow into three lines, send one line to the bog, one to the skippy, one to the waterfall all from the one pump. Use ball valves to divide the flow. We are using a evolution series pump, have seen no real affect on our electric bill. I have a pump doing 4200 gph, pond is around 9-10k total gallons, my water has been perfect, but my filter i.e. the bog is huge. All of the pump water goes into the bog.

Reaction score
One of the pool pumps was from when we first installed the pond and the pond guy instisted that a sand filter (change sand to gravel) was the answer to keeping a clear pond. The other one is from a small sandfilter upgrade to one of those blue inflateable pools that we put up last year for our grandchildren. The village made up take it down, though....

Do you think a small 1000 gph would work for the bog? I'm looking at a mag drive.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That would be 3x the size of the bog in flow, mine is around 4500 gallons of pea gravel/water, with 4200 gph going through it and it is doing wonderfully. You may want to go a little smaller or split the flow to have some go to a water feature. I can see the water flowing through the bog, so it is not a seeping type flow, little bog rivers of water lol.

You could get that pump, and if it is flowing too fast just divide the flow between the bog and a water feature.

Reaction score
Maybe I will try to split the big pool pump we have for the waterfalls first. Couldn't hurt. The falls are pretty powerful, maybe too powerfull???

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why not try that, save yourself some money. If your waterfall is a filter also, it might work better with slightly lower flow. For the bog you just want a nice flow out, not so hard that the pea gravel bounces out and into the pond.

Reaction score
Yes, I will try that first.......
Now I just have to convince my hubby to let me do it! It's raining today or I would already be out there!

RAIN RAIN GO AWAY, I WANT TO START DIGGING MY BOG TODAY!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, I will try that first.......
Now I just have to convince my hubby to let me do it! It's raining today or I would already be out there!

RAIN RAIN GO AWAY, I WANT TO START DIGGING MY BOG TODAY!!

If the rain we are getting keeps going, it is heading straight north, coming down in spots to a total of 5 inches. We are on the edge of the main rain. But it is left over lee, looks like heading your way! At least your ground will be soft.

Reaction score
LOL.......It's still raining here.......slow and steady all day. I should have gone to work today (I'm my own boss) but I didn't. My bio media finally came and I got that all situated. Then hubby and I went for a ride, had dinner and ran a couple of errands. I swear when I got home the pond actually looks a little better....just a little.....

It's suppose to rain all day tomorrow (which is my normal day off) so I'm not sure if I can start digging yet... The ground should be nice and soft for a few days!! Hopefully I can get to it on Sunday as Friday and Saturday are my busy days.

Ask a Question