Red (?) Worms

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi, I've been reading but haven't had time to post much. I have learned a great deal from all of you. my new pond is doing well, I have a waterlily conundrum I'll ask about later but today I was c lovely looking at the (?) Cromwell of a tropical Lilly. I was cleaning the mud out of it, healthy plant, just blooming, and suddenly I saw these bright red worms looking things down in the lily, right where the roots are attached to the bulb or whatever. I didn't have my camera, they were about the thickness of a thick hair and maybe an inch long. I saw 5. curious, any ideas? Ty

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A type of blood worm. Worms, especially the nematodes, are one of the highest populated group of animals in an earthen-bottom pond. It should be no surprise to also find them in a Garden Pond. They are considered a special treat by Goldfish and Koi.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
fish eat those thing :)

When I leave a bucket with water outside, after a while you will see these worm at the bottom of the bucket, cover in brown mod stuff, look like little poop. i just dump them in the pond for my fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A type of blood worm. Worms, especially the nematodes, are one of the highest populated group of animals in an earthen-bottom pond. It should be no surprise to also find them in a Garden Pond. They are considered a special treat by Goldfish and Koi.
Ty!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
come to think of it, where I found them, koi would have destroyed the lily to get them or do they swim around the pond?

This is exactly why Koi are known for being hard on plants. They can sense these critters and will root around until they catch them...... uprooting plants in the process.

Ask a Question