Rehabbing a Completely Overgrown Pond

Reaction score
Is that all you had to do to get that pond back in order? .... Just kidding. a back hoe rental might have been a good idea, eh? Of course you don't want to rip that liner. Very nice work sir.

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes everybody.

Yea, tons of work, my girlfriend has been right down in there with me mucking, what a trooper she is. There's been at least ten nights we're covered in muck and and smell like a sewer, lol.

So, any bets on what plant life re-emmerges? I'm not sure how all of you cull unwanted plants, my only real experience has been using Roundup, as pulling weeds leaves roots that grow back, on my lawn anyways.

Anybody have any thoughts on that swimming pool sand filter I'm using in addition to the typical mats that are in the skimmer and waterfall weir? Waste of time or keep it and make it permanent?

Before all the landscaping around the pond is final, I plan on running a 1" water line to it from the house, and using a sprinkler valve, controller, and float switch for an "auto-fill" system. At my last place I used our sprikler timer to turn the fountain on and off and it also had the fill valve and piping to the pond but no float, it was manual. Or........... buying a cheap PLC and using it for that and other logic like low water alarmin the skimmer pit, restart attempt delay timer and pump disable after a certain number of tries.

When my mind rambles...............I wanna buy a 100hp pump and accumulator, and build a mini Bellagio, lol.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a ton or work! That will look great when you are done.

Welcome to our group of ponding fanatics.

3d_effects.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You can add some additional filter mats to your Savio skimmer, I just cute three pieces and place in the leaf basket. Is the sand filter, the only other filtration? I don't have experience with one in a pond, but think you'll need other filtration with fish.

Round Up use isn't advisable in your pond!! You'll learn to thin out your plants and share with others:)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Roundup is deadly to frogs, tads, toads etc. Just something to file away for the future pond you will have.

Reaction score
You can add some additional filter mats to your Savio skimmer, I just cute three pieces and place in the leaf basket. Is the sand filter, the only other filtration? I don't have experience with one in a pond, but think you'll need other filtration with fish.

Round Up use isn't advisable in your pond!! You'll learn to thin out your plants and share with others:)

It's not installed yet, I also have the Savio waterfall weir that has a filter mat in it, about the same surface area of what's in the skimmer. I couldn't bring myself to spend the money on their much more expensive, fancy upflow filter.

I'm a do-it-yourself kinda guy and will more than likely follow some plans from this site and build a good filter box on my own once I have some free time. Still on the fence about adding the UV light option to that skimmer, sure looks pricey since I think I need two of the 50w units based on the size of the pond?

It's pretty funny, before starting on this rehab of the pond, I told the girlfriend I was in no hurry for fish.

But now that there's water pumping, I've got some fish webisites up and wanna pull the trigger on a dozen 6-8" Ruby Red Veiltail Comets that are on sale, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Fish are what make things fun!! My Savio came with a thin mat, which I replaced with a sheet of thicker matala. I have to clean my skimmer filters often, as they really trap "stuff".

Reaction score
Wow, the information on this site is incredible!

I've fallen in love with the idea of some type of bog for filtration. Then I don't have to figure-out a way to hide that pump energy-sucking pool filter either. The problem is, short of eating-up the open-water pond space that I'd like to keep, my only other space is up that hill I've shown where I'm planning the waterfall.

Contemplating in my head a way to do some type of terraced bog setup up that hill, with at least one decent waterfall drop into the pond. Maybe one up at the top entering the bog. The problem is I see most bogs are bottom-fed, so the water doesn't just skip over the top.

Or, still have a regular waterfall/steep creek run down the hill three feet wide or so, an have the bog alongside it running downhill. That space is ten feet wide and my liner for the project is 10 x 15.

Hmmmm................

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Your waterfall will also help clean and aerate the pond .But at least you have a lot done and it always takes time .But seems like you have it all under control

Reaction score
Being an inheritor of 15+ year old 14,000 gallon pond system with a large canape above the pond. Everything was completely filled to the brim with muck and tons of frogs, salamanders, and their broods alike.
The family and I demucked/drained the entire bottom pond with 5 gallon buckets and a 80gallon shock vac, it was great.
Sadly 6 years later(2 months ago) We never tackled the top pond and the upflow gravel filter. Both completely clogged basically had no filtration causing the bottom pond to build up substantial amount of muck and destroying my water quality killing all my koi breaking my heart. After going through that i have been all gung-ho about getting the pond exactly how I want it.
Now I can finally enjoy properly running filters, bigger water fall, and new fully rock top river/pond.
Few bumps in the road with the new koi but everything is good now.
Good luck with your progression it will be worth.

Ask a Question