releasing baby fish

Reaction score
if my adult fish are approx 6 inches long how big should my baby fish be before i release them into the pond with the adult fish without worry that they will eat them, the babies are nearly one and a half inches long now, but i have seen baby fish eating baby fish half their body size so nothing would surprise me with fish !

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
your probably safe right now....the eating usually stops when the babes are big enough to be recognizes as fish. not larvae....my koi babies go in at 1&1/2" every year.

Reaction score
thanks for the info koiguy, it just seems scary putting them in there with the big fish, would hate for them all to get eaten, feels like turning a 2 yr old child out into the big world !! lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
thanks for the info koiguy, it just seems scary putting them in there with the big fish, would hate for them all to get eaten, feels like turning a 2 yr old child out into the big world !! lol

well big fish daddy, can totally understand your fears,.......... but turn them loose turn them loose, bet they will just fine.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have little teeny tiny fish swimming around the edges of my pond and the other fish don't seem to bother them cuz they are still there every time I look. The little ones tend to hide amongst the plants a lot tho and then when they get to be about an inch or so I see them swimming right out there next to the big ones trying to find food.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
canabalism in koi and goldfish is kind of unusual for most fish, they will eat there own eggs, the fry will eat fry but once they are small fish the adults seem to leave them alone in most cases. I have seen 1" fish with 30" fish and all were doing good, yet seen a tobi koi clean out a half dozen fry in a single day. Same thing with goldfish. By now they should yours should be fine to let loose but if you still feel unsecure release the ugliest ones and hold on to the others for a little longer while you watch and see, this will also give the better ones a little more time to get just a little bigger.

Reaction score
ok so the babies are not as big yet as i thaught they were, they are only about 1" yet i have just had faith and released them into the pond with the adults and as you guys said the adults had a look at them but didnt bother them, will have to keep my eyes out for them, but i wanted them in there before i go on holiday next week, so it would be less for my neighbour to remember and look after while i was away !
thanks for the encouragement guys !
DSC04035.JPG

Reaction score
I'm sure they will be fine! I don't know what's going on in my pond, but I have babies from 1/2" to 3 1/2" and the big guys don't bother them at all.

Reaction score
ime hoping so baeya, hey i was just about to comment in one of your threads about how nice your acer tree looks beside the waterfall, but you have it locked so only you can post !

Reaction score
Thank you! If you're talking about the Pond blog thread, I guess it's just a blog for whoever starts the post and no one can comment on it....Kind of like my own personal diary that everyone can read without interruption. I didn't do it on purpose! Really! LOL, I love comments!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm sure they will be fine! I don't know what's going on in my pond, but I have babies from 1/2" to 3 1/2" and the big guys don't bother them at all.

They are having fun baeya! that makes the babies........

Ask a Question