New Baby Shubunkin (1 cm)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just noticed 3 babies and it is approaching winter. Anything I need to do please to ensure they survive for next year's summer. I normally clear out most plants and water Lily leaves but notice the babies are shy and stay close, in the middle, of the Lily leaves. Food wise I'm throwing in very small crunched flakes. Am I doing the right things please.Tks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-10-15_11-48-35.gif
@AlanD How deep and how many gallons is your pond? What climate zone are you in? If your adult fish survive the winters than there is hope that the babies will also. Mine do but I'm in zone 8. We don't get long hard freezes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @AlanD ! What's your winter like? How big is your pond? Depth is the most critical factor, but volume can be impactful, too.

Ours survive here in zone 5 - Chicago. Once they're big enough that you can see them, they're pretty tough little critters. As @j.w said - if you have adult fish that overwinter in the pond, the little ones will be just fine. They'll find a new hiding place.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would not worry about them, our fry tend to survive just fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just noticed 3 babies and it is approaching winter. Anything I need to do please to ensure they survive for next year's summer. I normally clear out most plants and water Lily leaves but notice the babies are shy and stay close, in the middle, of the Lily leaves. Food wise I'm throwing in very small crunched flakes. Am I doing the right things please.Tks
Hi Alan. Welcome! My fry survive the winters just fine. There is no need to feed them if you are not also feeding your full size fish. The babies have plenty of food from the algae in your pond. Also honestly your pond environment is really "survival of the fittest". The babies that can make it through the winter and adjust to the ph, organic matter, wastes and any other issue in your pond are going to be the most hardy adult fish you will ever have and will last the longest.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Alan. Welcome! My fry survive the winters just fine. There is no need to feed them if you are not also feeding your full size fish. The babies have plenty of food from the algae in your pond. Also honestly your pond environment is really "survival of the fittest". The babies that can make it through the winter and adjust to the ph, organic matter, wastes and any other issue in your pond are going to be the most hardy adult fish you will ever have and will last the longest.
Thanks CometKeith - your reply was very helpful and makes me more confident the new babies should live through their first winter. My pond only freezes over for a day or so if the winter is normal. I always make sure their is a small area that doesn't freeze over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@AlanD Hello and welcome!

How cold do winters get where you are? I’ve had fry over-winter in my pond.
Hi Mmathis Fortunately my winters are mild. Only freezes it over very occasionally. I always ensure there
is a small area clear of ice. Thanks for your info'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome @AlanD ! What's your winter like? How big is your pond? Depth is the most critical factor, but volume can be impactful, too.

Ours survive here in zone 5 - Chicago. Once they're big enough that you can see them, they're pretty tough little critters. As @j.w said - if you have adult fish that overwinter in the pond, the little ones will be just fine. They'll find a new hiding place.
Lisak1 I live in England so winters are not too severe. I'm sure my adult fish will help the small fish survive. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
haha... Actually it's typical there are more babies in the pond then you think. Somehow most ponds find the right balance of number of fish. At one time I thought about 8 fish was a good number for my pond and I refused to buy any new fish unless I had to replace an existing one that something happened to. Well three years later I had almost 70 fish in the pond. In one season alone I had over 30 new baby fish! That was 6 years ago. Now one of those is a beautiful white goldfish with a long tail and one of the largest goldfish in my pond!

Reaction score
how big are your other fish alan, last year i had a few small fish left in the pond about 1 - 2 cms long and i decided to leave them as i couldnt catch them first time, and when spring time came there wasnt a single baby fish left , i suspect my 18 inch orfe had eaten them,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how big are your other fish alan, last year i had a few small fish left in the pond about 1 - 2 cms long and i decided to leave them as i couldnt catch them first time, and when spring time came there wasnt a single baby fish left , i suspect my 18 inch orfe had eaten them,
Hello Mogsie My other fish including a couple of Orfes are all no longer than 6 ins. So far the small babies are still there, about 6-7 currently. Our weather has been fairly mild with water temp around 8-11 degrees so I ave only just stopped feeding them with a little winter food. I'll let you know how it goes. Alan

Ask a Question