Replicate rugged dirt & root edge look

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Would love to replicate this pond edge in a faux design for a section of my pond. If you are a genius and can tell me how please speak up.

image.jpg

Below is a faux bank but by professionals so no DIY info available.

image.jpg

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Here they use round bales of straw .It looks like a long snake of it .When i was taking frogs away I saw it and asked the farmer and originally he said it was supposed to keep runoff from going in the pond but he found it made a great edging for the pond so he did not have to weed whack next to the pond edge .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Lou, that 2nd pic kinda reminds me of version 1.0 of the turtle bog, when pond & bog were combined. I needed for the shoreline to slope gradually enough for the turtles to be able to get in & out of the water easily (remember, these aren't aquatic turtles). After I had the liner in, I used plastic mesh to form my faux slope [along with rocks and stuff as fillers]. Then I rented a cement mixer [no WAY I was going to do this by hand!], got some concrete coloring and went to town! Actually, I think I used Portland & sand, and mixed my own 'cause I didn't need that much gravel aggregate....

It was a lot of work, but in the end it did look nice. I could have made it thicker which would have been better for walking on, but this was just for the turts, so..... I'll see if I can dig up some pics I took.

Not sure if you'd want to go that route, but it's an option.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Concreet would be easy to shape and would be a stable bank
I agree! And one thing I did with the turtle shoreline was to poke a few holes through the mix before it dried. That way, you can stick a plant [like Creeping Jenny....] in the hole -- it will be well watered because there will be pond water underneath the concrete-facade -- like you do with sticking plants between rocks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gohip

Latest Threads