Repost: diagnostic dead koi, I am pretty new to this

Reaction score
Hopefully this time it works with the photos.... Thanks Dr Dave for quick response!

I am pretty green at ponding and starting to get pretty discouraged already with the damage so far after one season only!

At end of winter, I found 3 large kois dead (12-14 inches). I just got them last summer from a person closing his pond.

Can someone tell me from the photographs if any of these died from any apparent disease or the did not get enough air as my pond frose despite me using 3 thermo pnd de icer.

Is there anything I could do in terms of water quality to help koi health and prevent diseases?

Attachments

• Koi 1.jpg
    Koi 1.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 340
  • Koi 2.jpg
    Koi 2.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 330
  • Koi 3A.jpg
    Koi 3A.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 338
  • Koi3B.jpg
    Koi3B.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 353

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If the pond froze solid over the top, then they may have died from oxygen depravation. I don't see any signs of dropsy or anything else that is obvious.

As for water quality, read the posts and ask questions. There are many helpful posts here and people ready to help you.

Reaction score
Thanks Dr Dave. I used thermo pond de icer, that keeps a 3 inch opening. I used 3 of them for a 15 feet diam pond. On top of that is it required to add a pump for circulating the water or the opening is enough to get the oxygen ?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I am not in a freezing zone, there are others here with experience in this area. Most are using an airstone to keep the opening and provide oxygen to their fish throughout the winter.

Reaction score
are those cloudy looking large circular spots on the fish just water droplets? You can see them in the 1st and 3rd photos. If it's not just droplets do they look like they resemble candle wax drippings?

Please advise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's really hard to tell, those fish have been dead for some time,

Reaction score
agreed dodad! A post-mortem is tough in this scenario. Though those spots look like carp pox to me, they do not kill a fish under normal conditions. Those fish just live with the virus unless the water quality is poor.

Ask a Question