Revisiting Lining a Galvanized Stock Tank

Reaction score
Country
United States
in two years i have koi that were born in the pond who are now 8 inches long without butterfly tails . 100 gallon isn't just to small it's cruel, unless you plan or rehoming them in a year or two
The koi were in the 300 gallon, the 100 gallon is currently a planter and is going to be a temporary home for our turtle until summer when we can move her outside. And yes, plan is to move the the Koi from 300 gal to larger if I can ever get them to live long enough.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
fat fantails are great ,they come in colors with long flowing tails and do not get very big .I call them butt wigglers because they use their butt wiggle to swim

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I must have missed something on my first read-through, so please clarify. You have some galvanized tanks that you want to line. First you said they were for a turtle, to keep indoors until spring — and that you couldn’t find a “Rubbermaid” tank with the right dimensions to fit inside the house. Then you are talking about putting koi In these 100 and 300 gallon tanks, once your turtle has vacated them.

What kind of turtle are you talking about? If it’s a semi-aquatic turtle (like a RES), don’t you already have it contained in a leak-proof tank, since it’s inside your home? I have box turtles. They are brumating currently in my garage, in 2 “Rubbermaid” stock tanks (filled with soil of course and not water). The smaller of the 2 tanks (both came from Tractor Supply) — or even the larger one, for that matter — would fit nicely indoors, and there would be no concern about water leaks.

I also have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid in the backyard for my goldfish, while we wait to have a pond dug. This is just me, but I would 100% trust a plastic (I know they‘re not plastic, but not sure what they’re made of) tank filled with water versus a galvanized tank fitted with liner. But, again, I don’t trust my putting-in-liner skills, so feel pretty sure I would screw it up somehow.

But my real concern is that you are wanting to put KOI in these tanks! Please do some research regarding pond-keeping in general, and koi-keeping in particular. Goldfish are fine, but koi are not suited to such small spaces! Koi need, at a minimum, 1000 gallons, and that’s for just one fish. People do successfully keep koi in smaller spaces, but they also have incredibly efficient filtration systems.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

I also have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid in the backyard for my goldfish, while we wait to have a pond dug. This is just me, but I would 100% trust a plastic (I know they‘re not plastic, but not sure what they’re made of) tank filled with water versus a galvanized tank fitted with liner. But, again, I don’t trust my putting-in-liner skills, so feel pretty sure I would screw it up somehow.

Did you finalize a plan for your build?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks again everyone for all your feedback. I didn't mean to get everyone sidetracked and worried about the fish topic. I assure you I am not going to be torturing any fish, Koi or otherwise in the near future. Just trying to keep Mertle the turtle happy and healthy for now:turtle:. Nevertheless, I appreciate the input and helpful suggestions.
Cheers

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Did you finalize a plan for your build?
No, but will be talking to a company in the next few weeks. My biggest decision will be how to include and incorporate the box turtle habitat. If you didn’t already read....I lost all of my goldfish to a Great Egret. It was unexpected.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks again everyone for all your feedback. I didn't mean to get everyone sidetracked and worried about the fish topic. I assure you I am not going to be torturing any fish, Koi or otherwise in the near future. Just trying to keep Mertle the turtle happy and healthy for now:turtle:. Nevertheless, I appreciate the input and helpful suggestions.
Cheers
Is her name really Mertle? That’s cute!

Ask a Question