ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Maria the koi's sucker mouth faces downwards somewhat akin to the pleco's mouth but is used more for grubbing about with in the mud for food.
Not with the suction then rasping movement of the mouth parts such as a pleco has .

Actually Dave, @bettasngoldfish was asking about my River Carpsucker. A River Carpsucker, Carpiodes carpio, is a wild fish native to the US. It resembles a common carp in size and color, but is actually a filter/bottom feeder. Mine is quite large so it is possible that it sucked on my fish's tail. I don't have a photo of just him, but you can see him in this image. He is the natural-colored fish in the center:

In other news, I was out of town for the last few days competing in a Film Festival, so I haven't been treating the Ryukin, though my little sister has been feeding all the fish. The fungus seems to have mostly disappeared, which is a good sign I would assume. I don't expect most of the tail to grow back, but I do hope to cure the infection and let the wound heal/scar so as to not be infected again. It's too dark to get a good photo tonight. I will try tomorrow, but I do work 10 hours, so it might not happen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh wow Zmann you have one of those as well I really would like to get a good look at one as I've never seen one before my fiend glad to hear the Ruyukins fungus has all but disapeared hes a fighter I'll give him that .

Dave

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Oh wow Zmann you have one of those as well I really would like to get a good look at one as I've never seen one before my friend
Dave, I don't have many photos of him, he lives up to his bottom feeder nature haha. I rarely see him for more than a few seconds at a time. I will see what I can do in the near future haha

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, That does look a lot better! I have never seen a tail with that much damage so I wasn't sure what would happen. I will be interested to know if you get any re-growth.

What did you end up doing with her as far as any treatment goes? Is she still in quarantine?

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
@bettasngoldfish Yes, she's still in quarantine. She will be until the end of the week (I leave for vacation on Saturday and she will need to be in the pond to feed herself off nature). For treatment, I was giving her a 10 minute bath once a day in salt, Melafix, and Pimafix, and then I found an API bacterial treatment powder for fin rot, so I substituted the salt for a double dose of that in the baths. I have since stopped the baths but have still been treating the water with low amounts of Melafix and Pimafix daily. Right now she is basically just in quarantine so she can be safe and not work for food while her stub regrows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, That does look a lot better! I have never seen a tail with that much damage so I wasn't sure what would happen. I will be interested to know if you get any re-growth.

What did you end up doing with her as far as any treatment goes? Is she still in quarantine?
Looking at the wound now it looks to have stopped just prior to the body propper you may still get lucky and its tail grows back .
Zman I agree however lets wait and see whether or not we get any regrowth .

Dave

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Well today I returned her to the pond. I was planning on doing it tomorrow anyway, because I am leaving on vacation, but today she escaped her holding pot and got into the rest of the nursery with my fry. It rained so the water level rose. rather than drain the water down I decided to just let her loose. We will see where things go now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Originally he/she probably had problems getting down fast and deep and a preditor has got him/her by the tail.
The fish got away with its encounter but its tail became badly infected, though thankfully it didnt spead from the tail to the body otherwise he/she would have died .:(
Zman could you take photos of this tail every few days so we can map the re-growth of the tail start to finish;)

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanx Zman it goes to show the importance of acting early when it comes to this type of infection thats what I want to show

Dave

Ask a Question