Fantail goldfish changed colour overnight!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have a small garden pond containing a small number of regular-variety goldfish. I understand that goldfish change colour as they mature but this morning I discovered that my large white fantail had turned bright gold/orange literally overnight! Yesterday it was white, today it is not! There are only 5 fish so I'm not mistaking it for another and it appears to be healthy. Is there an explanation for this? Apart from being a hot 43 degrees celsius here yesterday, the pond environment has been stable and not changed for several years. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF!

I have one comet that regularly changes from deep, dark orange to white and then back. I can't say he's ever done it overnight, but it's often within a matter of just a few days, so I guess it's certainly possible! I've heard a variety of reasons why this can happen - water quality, stress, temperature, etc. - but mine has done it so often that I don't worry too much about it anymore.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the GPF!

I have one comet that regularly changes from deep, dark orange to white and then back.

That's interesting! I've had them change, but usually over a month or so, and they never seem to change again. My black and orange shubunkin has slowly lost its black spots over the years and is now mostly orange. Maybe it'll get more spots back someday?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2019-1-5_9-44-51.gif
@Kimberley That is strange it happened so fast. My goldfish change from black to oj or white but never that fast. Maybe it was the heat but I can't say for sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Maybe it'll get more spots back someday?

Could be! I've learned to expect almost anything. The first time this comet changed to white I thought for sure something was wrong. Then a few months later he was orange again. And he changes all over all at once. Some of mine will gain or lose spots, but this one is an either/or kind of guy! He's also the most active male in our pond at mating time - maybe he's trying to fool the ladies... haha!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love watching when my fish change color ,it is like a new fish in an old pond .A little surprise box of fish :)like cracker jacks

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
My little orange Ranchu turned pure white seemingly overnight, also.
I joked and said it was because a feral raccoon almost got him.

Attachments

• 20180921_094531.jpg
    20180921_094531.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 350

Ask a Question