safety of our koi fish (toads)

Reaction score
Country
United States
We just bought a house in September that already had a super small pond with one koi fish in it. Well, last night with all the rain a bunch of toads have gathered in it. (9 to be exact) well now their is a ton of egg strands. Is this harmful to our fish? If so how do we go about resolving the issue.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1589578872808.gif
@Jensnep
I've never had toads here but I would not think they could hurt anything being in your pond. I would think the fish would eat them all up!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
For some reason my koi don't eat the toad eggs. I thought one was trying some this Spring, but not sure. Once the eggs hatch, they are not in the pond very long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Only 9? That's nothing. Our pond has literally hundreds of toads descend on it every spring. They muck up the water, stir up debris, gum up the skimmer baskets with their eggs, but actually cause no lasting problems in the pond. Once the tadpoles hatch, they're wonderful at cleaning up the pond of any & all debris that happens to be around.

Toad eggs, and apparently the tadpoles, must taste as bad as the adults do, because the fish don't bother either one when they're in the pond. I've actually seen a fish try to eat a tadpole & then immediately spit it back out. The 'yuk' factor must be high?

In short - don't worry. Enjoy your baby toads.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The toads have never bothered my fish. The pond water is covered with toads doing their thing in the spring, then I get tons of eggs, then tons of tads which jump out and become tiny toads. We are so bug free here due to the toads, frogs birds etc that the pond has brought into our back yard.

Ask a Question