Saturating Peat Moss

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
I put together a mini-bog in a pottery pot, more as a feature than as a practical filtering system, but, nonetheless,something that will contribute to the pond's water quality. I have a bottom layer of pea gravel, a mid layer of fine gravel and topped off with sphagnum peat. The water source is at the bottom and percolates up through the media to a stand pipe drain. Fortunately, I had the foresight to place a screen over the standpipe because the peat moss is just floating! Can I expect it to settle with time or should I do something to help it along?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
First time that I have actually heard of using peat moss in a bog. That is where it originates.
This will likely continue to float no matter what. It has been processed from its harvested form and is no longer densely compacted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
Yes, I do intend to add the plants as soon as I get the base up high enough. After skimming off the floating peat, I found that about half of it has sunk. Someone suggested using coarse sand for the top, (which we have a lot of here in FL), which would also stabilize the sunken peat...thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I agree that gravel would be a better option. The peat will wash into the pond with the water that flows through even if topped with sand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United States
I removed the peat and replaced it with gravel as suggested, but, really, it is only a couple of gallon pot for a 400 gallon pond and I don't think a 1/2" layer of peat would have impacted the ph level. This pot is just a feature and I thought I'd set it up in a way to help the working Bio-filter.

I'm thinking of planting something grassy with maybe a single tall flowering plant. The open part of the pot is 12" and the center 4" is the outflow standpipe.

Ask a Question