Sediment from gravel

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Unsure how to deal with this, I tried to clean the gravel before putting it in, but still some end up dirty and it all ends up in the water. While I know it'll clear out that dirt has to go somewhere, and it goes on the bottom on the liner or the sides. What should be done in this case? Not really wanting to buy a Pond vacuum, I've been looking into some Shop vacs though since they are way cheaper.

The reason why this worries me is algae bloom. No algae yet, and it is spring so I assume bacteria will be way more active, I rebuilt my pond about 14 days ago and expanded it, and before that there was a algae bloom in the winter where the sides of the liner were filled with algae and I would like to avoid algae bloom, it's a mess to deal with.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Leave it be. That is really just grit - it's not got anything in it that will feed algae. And you're right - it does go somewhere, but you built an outdoor pond. Every time it rains or the wind blows, fine debris finds its way into your pond. You'll never ever ever have a "clean" pond - nor should that be what you strive for.

When you say "algae bloom" do you mean string algae? Floating pea soup algae? Or carpet algae that clings to the liner and and rocks?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Leave it be. That is really just grit - it's not got anything in it that will feed algae. And you're right - it does go somewhere, but you built an outdoor pond. Every time it rains or the wind blows, fine debris finds its way into your pond. You'll never ever ever have a "clean" pond - nor should that be what you strive for.

When you say "algae bloom" do you mean string algae? Floating pea soup algae? Or carpet algae that clings to the liner and and rocks?
That was during the winter when the pond had depth, but no shelves for plants (extremely hard to cover everything when there's no shelves and just depth). But it was carpet algae where the liner was not covered at all. There were many things wrong with that pond I built back in the summer, so it only I assume contributed to the problem of algae.

In this case where I rebuilt it about 2 weeks ago, expanded it, created plant shelves, hiding the liner is not a problem. Just worried a bit about dirt, but I guess you're right, just a bit paranoid since I know cleaning it is not a task without some effort.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
tHE ONLY WAY TO WASH GRAAVEL IS WITH A SCREEN like 1/8" AND dump the gravel in very thin layers and start rinsing . It is not the end of the world to have some silt make it's way into the pond it will settle out

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
But it was carpet algae where the liner was not covered at all.

OK - we seem to have a confusion of terms. "Carpet algae" (not sure if that's a real name or just the type of algae) clings tightly to the interior surfaces of the pond, like a, well... carpet! It's short and dense and hard to remove, but extremely beneficial. There's also string algae or hair algae - the long, flowing, string like stuff that you can easily scoop and remove. Or there's the single cell floating stuff that makes the pond look like pea soup. Which one are you worried about?

In any case - algae isn't a "problem" - it's an indicator. A good amount of algae is a sign of a healthy pond. An overgrowth of algae is a sign that either A. it's a new pond that hasn't matured yet or B. you have too many nutrients in the pond - too many fish, too little water, too much organic material decaying, etc. When you see algae, your pond is giving you a sign of the health or condition of your pond. Don't fear algae - just learn what it means and act accordingly. But in a truly healthy pond you will see lots of good green algae coating every available surface - that's an integral part of your biological filtration.

How big is your pond? How many fish do you have? Any plants? All of those are important keys to pond management.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I tried to clean the gravel before putting it in, but still some end up dirty and it all ends up in the water.
I put 38000 lbs in the bog, rinsed only two wheel barrels full, then just dumped it in dirt and all. Pond stays nice and clear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
OK - we seem to have a confusion of terms. "Carpet algae" (not sure if that's a real name or just the type of algae) clings tightly to the interior surfaces of the pond, like a, well... carpet! It's short and dense and hard to remove, but extremely beneficial. There's also string algae or hair algae - the long, flowing, string like stuff that you can easily scoop and remove. Or there's the single cell floating stuff that makes the pond look like pea soup. Which one are you worried about?

In any case - algae isn't a "problem" - it's an indicator. A good amount of algae is a sign of a healthy pond. An overgrowth of algae is a sign that either A. it's a new pond that hasn't matured yet or B. you have too many nutrients in the pond - too many fish, too little water, too much organic material decaying, etc. When you see algae, your pond is giving you a sign of the health or condition of your pond. Don't fear algae - just learn what it means and act accordingly. But in a truly healthy pond you will see lots of good green algae coating every available surface - that's an integral part of your biological filtration.

How big is your pond? How many fish do you have? Any plants? All of those are important keys to pond management.
Before it was around 2000l I would say with 6 gold 3 koi, but there were many mistakes I made with the pond before I expanded it around 2 weeks ago, I didn't do a great job with plants and some soil seemed to have leaked, I assume that created an algae bloom. I didn't feed fish at all during the winter so I can't imagine that fish could have caused it, it was a mild winter and plenty sunlight without shade.

I've not seen any signs of algae yet after expanding it to around 5000l, but the pond should have quite decent shade in about a month after the tree next to the pond grows the leaves so I assume it'll be less likely.

I don't mind algae, but this was like a carpet on the side of the liner. It was a badly executed pond before, now I've added shelves for plants, and the liner is covered with gravel. It was a healthy pond I suppose, since all fish seemed to have survived the winter. Though I don't think I'm overpopulating, I think people probably put way more in a 2000l pond, and now it being 5000l the goldfish and koi are kind of barely noticeable (good for them though, all the space in the world now), I'll maybe add a few more gold or koi but I'm not gonna go crazy.

In any case I learned a good lesson from the previous iteration of the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is very true, the pea gravel had that tiny gravel dirt and some silt, not horrible, but the pond was brown for a while.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Carpet algae. Is. Good. It's your friend. Your pond needs it.

I don't know how else to explain that. The entire surface of a healthy pond will be completely ENCASED in algae. In fact, if you have bare liner you should be even MORE excited to see it covered in algae as it looks more natural that way.

Now maybe I'm still misunderstanding you, but if you are fighting true "carpet" algae in your pond you are going to lose.

Ask a Question