Fish stir up sediment

Reaction score
I recently added fish to my garden pond that had been established for a couple of years. The water was very clear. I checked the bottom and there was layer of silt type build up on the bottom that I decided to leave as the balance of the pond seemed good and the layer on the bottom was rich with tiny leaches etc which I assumed was " all good" ecologically. But since adding the fish they must be stirring up the bottom as the water went cloudy within 24 hours of adding them. What is it best to do in this situation? Drain and totally clean everything from the bottom or partially or leave and accept cloudy water . New to this so any comments appreciated . Thanks

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
even without fish the muck or mulm (dead plant matter etc...) on the bottom should be kept in check...but its especially important with fish. as the debris decompose they release toxins, as does fish wastes. a biological filter is also highly recommended to eliminate these toxins. the muck also harbors parasites such as the leeches you speak of and smaller ones,some you cant see. bad bacteria, and some fungus also thrive there i'd clean it up good!!

Reaction score
Do you have a circulating system, if so is there filtration of any type? If not, research and install whatever would work best for your situation. Plants will keep still water very "clear"; add fish and things change in a hurry.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Use a net to get the big stuff, if there is any. Then as stated, a good circulation will allow the filtration system to eventually remove it.
or if you have a vacuum and go slowly, so as not to disturb the bottom, most can be removed that way.

Ask a Question