Small Fish in the Big Pond

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
There is definitely a larger one of the group, also could explain how only 4 eggs made it in a fishless tub garden.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I decided to just bring them in. I'm still not even sure if I'm leaving the big guys out this winter yet so I just bit the bullet and grabbed a 5 gallon. Hopefully it's enough for 4 goldfish growing through the winter but I didn't want to spend a fortune.

http://www.amazon.co...gallon+aquarium

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Survival of the fittest is the best way forwards with your fry cruel as it may sound to you
You have to remember that in nature young do get eaten by their parents and its only the fittest and whiliest that survive.
That way you know you have strong fish, we used to do it in our ex tropical setup.....
Remember in Japan they are culled anyway by the breeder before they even get to us .
The only thing you cannot however control is what colour or patern your small koi will take on unlike the Breeder who's eye is so practised thar he can see a good koi even at that size

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
I decided to just bring them in. I'm still not even sure if I'm leaving the big guys out this winter yet so I just bit the bullet and grabbed a 5 gallon. Hopefully it's enough for 4 goldfish growing through the winter but I didn't want to spend a fortune.

http://www.amazon.co...gallon+aquarium

That will likely end up being too small, but should work for a bit. My largest goldfish babies (both inside and outside) are coming up on 5" and were hatched early to mid May (cant remember now). I cant remember if you posted what kind of goldfish you have. Mine are everyday boring, plain reddish orange long fin comets (with one being blackish brown instead)... The parents, or those I think are the parents, are maybe 7-9" long... I've noticed a few of ours have standard/short fins, so I dont know if long fin to long fin comets can produce short fins, or if our giant white feeder goldfish (12") got in on the action...

I am not a huge fan of water changes, but in such a small tank, you may want to be sure to do them each week... dont forget to take care of the filter often too... just scoop some of the water you are taking out of the tank into a bowl and rinse the filter cartridge in it (so not to kill the bacteria that eventually grows in it)... IF your filter takes carbon or ammo chips, I would put new in at least every two weeks.

Ask a Question