Snakes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Today I bought some pretty little "feeder" goldfish to replace the ones eaten by the snake. I have covered up all the open places at the bottom of the fence with black plastic gutter guard, should keep out all but the tiniest of snakes. Sure hope so anyway, now just birds to watch out for.
Barb

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I had snakes come over the years and one year I had a grass snake that would not leave, and he was eating the smaller fish as well. I caught him with a big net and grabbed him and took him down a block away to the creek that year. Some can be hard to catch but generally they do not hang around for long so hopefully he won't come back!
Good job catching him Barb!

Reaction score
We have a few small garter snakes around the pond, they dont bother my fish since most are pretty big. I did have to rehome a pair of 5' black snakes, they were eating my baby chickens in the barn.

We keep the bigger snakes in the house. :)

20180320_202401.jpg 20170715_210138.jpg 20170410_211504.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m hopefull the rock wall I put up, cats, and activity will keep snakes out of my pond. They have plenty of natural water ways near me, they can go there! But then again, it would keep my numbers down... this years baby boom was a lot more than I expected. I’ll have to cull most of them and give/ sell/ other form of removal, most of the babies, but I think what I’ll end up doing is getting rid of all but my white male, the prettiest of the gold, and switching to mostly shubinkin.

Ask a Question