Soap?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
DOC = Dissolved Organic Carbon
As plants and animals and their waste decompse in water, organic carbon is released into the water column. (basically)
The dissolved carbon can increase surface tension of water and bubbles can form as a result.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We know it in the UK as disolved organic foam in the UK Mitch

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad it is clearing up for you. Unreal some someone would do that to your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
It definitely looks like soap to me.

Earlier this year, I had similar foam in my pond (though not quite as bad)... But it was my own dumb fault. I washed all three of my dogs outside in my lawn. Later that day we had torrential downpours, and some of the shampoo got washed into the pond. I'll never make that mistake again. The fish seemed fine, but regardless, I did a few water changes, and all was well.

Since vandalism seems like a likely culprit, I'd install a trail cam. Maybe put up a few signs saying the pond is under video surveillance too... It'd be better to deter them than to catch them after the fact.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
This what a lot of DOC looks like...yuck!
I wonder if anyone told them what they were playing in?:whistle:

View attachment 82049

View attachment 82051

View attachment 82052

Mitch if this is foam caused by the action of the waves then we of a nautical bent know this as spume.
I remember our first officer trying to educate a long service Leading Seaman of over 22 years service when a wave hit the weather deck of the aircraft carrier I was on .
You see in Naval speak we call being hit by a wave as being goffered .....
Any how as the wave hit all you heard from this old salt of leading hand was bugger it I've been goffered , the first officer always one to educate we mere ratings turned round to him and "said Leading hand the word is spumed by a wave".
This old salt of a Leading seaman when the next wave came inboard without even missing a beat turned to the first officer and said "oh bugger me sir I've been spumed by a goffer"
The look on the first officers face said it all :LOL:

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Those pictures I posted were from Australia about 8 years ago.
My guess is that the ocean currents and wind direction all came together along with maybe a mass coral spawning event and maybe a dead whale somewhere.
It looks like the people are having fun in it, and it's really harmless foam, but I would still stay out of it.
I guess ignorance is bliss...:rolleyes:

Amy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks for the info on the foam/anti-foam. I will google it, top find some in the USA. Thank you all for your help. Wish there was some way to know for sure what happened, but I will just be content that no fish or plants died. Things seem to be back to normal.
I will say that I was just skimming some debris from the surface of the pond with my net, and found some slimy little eggs when I went to rinse it off, but the frog croaking was in full force last night so...................

Ask a Question