soapy water

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new on here so I would like some advice off anyone on my problem.
Since having dispute with my neighbours next door who I don`t now talk to.I am getting bubbles in my pond which I can`t get rid of.I suspect something like a fine powder as been thrown into my pond. I can`t prove it, but knowing them I think they have done this. I get no Frogs in my pond now, which is not natural to me as I always had them. Neighbour has a pond also which I may add is bubblefree. Any advice how to get my water checked to prove I have some kind of soapy substancee in it. I am not the revenge type although I must admit I feel like doing him a misfavour. Any advice appreciated.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A lot of time bubbles can be from organic material that has dissolved in your pond, like dirt it can be totally natural.

Can you post a picture of your bubbles, are they just at a lot of water flow? or all over your pond

Reaction score
Thanks for reply addy, all in filter box and look colourful when sun gets on them and even bubbles come when my net which covers pond drops in the water. This is why i think its sabotage. Not seen one frog this year never had this prob before.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
We had a case or two of that here. In one instance two kids with there dog were caught on motion cameras dumping powdered soap into a guys pond, wiped out all his fish. Some neighbors recognized the dog and kids from the news footage. Some people hate the frogs at night so thats incentive also. I know my neighbors can here mine.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You could try and see if activated carbon would help. I would think that soap in a pond would deter frogs from living there as it can also kill your fish depending on how much was put in.

Take some pics and post. I get some bubbles every now and then by my waterfall but they are not all over the pond just where the water falls into the pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
malco said:
thanks koidaddy, can you tell me if soapy stuff deters frogs?
Hard to say about the frogs, sometimes they just leave. But if it is soap it would have driven them out, and maybe even killed them.

take a glass of pond water, shake it real well, see if it bubbles. not sure if that will help you or not.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You could try posting a introduction and filling their gas tank with moth balls.:lol:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I would use driveway monitors that Harbor Freight sells to detect them or anything else that goes near your pond.

Attachments

• Harbor Freight Tools Driveway alarm.jpg
    Harbor Freight Tools Driveway alarm.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 274

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
Hi Malco. It could be possible that something could have been put into your pond but other possibilities could be that if the fish are spawning, bubbles can start due to the protein going into the pond. Dissolved Organic Carbons can cause water to bubble up due to excess phosphates. Water changes from the bottom of the pond is very important and this should help get rid of the bubbles or you could try a protein skimmer. I think that you can make them and possibly buy them but water changes work well. Also, your filtration system might not be sufficient which can also cause this problem.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
good idea koilady...........have you looked for eggs or seen the fish swimming like crazy chasing each other?

What kind of fish do you have?

Any chance you could post a picture of the bubbles that will help us also.

You sure want to certain it is your neighbor before you start a pissing match with them.

You could also get a camera (like a trail camera, or spy camera, ip camera) anything that will film your pond to see if anybody gets near it. They are not that expensive anymore.

Here are some links for trail cameras

http://trailcameras.net/
http://www.trailcampro.com/
http://www.cabelas.com/trail-cameras-1.shtml

Reaction score
thanks Koilady,I am taking on board all messages, just another thing inside my filter box is very slippery on the sides which leads me to thinking some kind of detergent as been thrown in, also get bubbles on pavers when i hose them down. am 99 percent sure its some kind of dishwasher powder or washing machine powder as even net bubbles when immersed in water. That is the net which i cover my pond with. Your message is much appreciated. thx.

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
Malco, I'm so sorry to hear that there is a possibility that someone would do this to your pond and fish. I do hope that you find out what it could be. Depending on the type of filtration system you have there can be a slimmy consistency on the container but if you can hose the bio-media down and it starts to suds up, I think you might be right about the fact that someone has tampered with your pond and I think that is terrible.

Best of luck Malco and please keep us posted.

Hugs, Lorraine

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn malco, good luck, that really is horrible someone would do that to your pond and the critters that live in it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Doesn't sound good..........sounds like it could be soap. Very nasty people that would do that if it's really soap. So sorry you lost your frogs. Maybe they left before it hurt them and they may come back when it's all cleared up.........hope so.

children_enjoying_fireworks.gif

Ask a Question