Soil from pond plants in water

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I had a two level pond I guess I could say. It's deep and then has a shallowish ledge about a foot deep with flagstone around it. I have a couple of water plants still in their pots with soil. Obviously I will transplant into a bigger pot afterwards. I noticed after a thunder storm my pots fell over. A lot of soil ended up around my flag stone and water appears a little dirty. I have 1 baby koi and 3 shubunkins. Should I pop some snails in the bottom to eat the soil that has fallen? Or is there a better way oppose to sucking out the water as I I only have a shop vac to do that. I don't think my heavy duty filter is picking much of it up.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They won't eat soil to get it out put a pump in with a hose into a crate with quilt batting in it and stir it up and quilt batting will pick it all up you can see my green crate at the bottom.I also have one in my filter and the blue stuff is reusable furnace filter and under it is quilt batting .Heavy stuff gets picked up by the blue stuff and quilt batting picks up the fine stuff

Attachments

• build stuff and pond 11-17-2015 019.JPG
    build stuff and pond 11-17-2015 019.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 260
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I see your picture. But I still have no idea what you just said to me haha.

Can I use my pre existing pond pump?

My set up is a decorative rock with a tube in it to pump water out. I have a pump in the bottom of the pond with a huge filter box with two filters.

Can I just slap a piece of quilt batting in the filter box and take out the tube from the rock and have it pour into the crate with more quilt batting? Instead of buying a new pump altogether?

If I really want to get technical could I get a hose splitter? Have my tube pumping water down the rock and have another hose going into the basket with quilt batting so it runs 24/7?

Basically I have a rock in the center of pond with a spot for the tube that lets water trickle down.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
of course tyou can keep your existing pump .I just run the hose into the opening of the crate I fold the quilt batting and put it in first and the the blue furnace reusable filter ontop .The quilt batting will pick up all the fine stuff .You can rinse both off with the hose to clean it .The crate can be put any where as long as it is not submerged

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So in theory the fine soil stuff will go through my filter box not get stuck in the filter then some of it will go through the splitter to the other hose into the quilt batting?

Filter - pump- then at the time time two hoses to lead one into quilt batting and one to the waterfall rock?

What would be more beneficial have the splitter for the two hoses right after the filter to the pump or after the pump?

Sorry for the questions so new at this and my water is soily haha. And I have the hoses and splitters even a shut off valve too that I haven't installed. Just need the quilt batting.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep except i keep mine in all the time .I use sump pump hose and a T pvc fitting .I connect them all with stainless steel hose clamps

Attachments

• sump pump hose connected in pond 002.JPG
    sump pump hose connected in pond 002.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 227
Reaction score
Country
Canada
image_3.jpeg

It's the blue container in the back that has holes on the bottom leading into the pond. Now since that hose is way too long I am going to need to cut a bit of it off so the water coming down my rock is more powerful. Either I buy a more powerful pump which is expensive or snip the tubing. I opt for sniping the tubing.

Well I think I rigged something up nicely and hopefully she works.

I have the furnace filter at the bottom with some quilt batting draped over it.

I opted for a small Rubbermaid container. Drilled a hole in the lid and have a hose going right into it. Then I have the filter inside. I have this device sitting at the back of the pond completely out of the pond. I have drilled a few holes in the bottom of the container where it sits on the ledge of the pond so the water exists only one way in the front and not the back from the container.

Hopefully I get a nice clear pond after this. I'll post pics of my contraption for you guys.

Last edited:

Ask a Question