Submerged Oxygenating Plants

Reaction score
linc2010 said:
Can you polish by putting the filter medium in the skimmer?

You would want to put the polish filter after the pump. You will need pressure to push your ponds water through the micron filter media. If possible or I have room to, when I install the pump for my pond I will put a by-pass in and just plumb the polish filter to the pump. This way when and if I need to polish the water it's just a matter of cutting off one valve and turning on another until the process is complete.

Reaction score
If I was to recommend a good non invasive oxygenating underwater plant I would say creeping jenny. I have a mud pond and very sensitive on what I introduce and the creeping jenny has been great. It's been in my pond for years and years and has not gone crazy. It likes to be above water with wet feet and will grow faster but it does do very well under water too. The growth stays low and does shoot to the surface like most other underwater plants. As long as it can get light it will grow and it continues to come back year after year and is the first to green of all my other plants. I get mine from the wild around my house and is a dark green. Most of what I see at the nurseries is a pale green. This year I’ve been working on spreading it more around my pond.

Reaction score
Good info Squidhead and proper to point out any warnings as I should of but, I've not found anything fearful of this plant. As a caution, it is listed on the invasive spiecies list for here in Indiana but, feel its listed due to it not being native to the area and it can spread as I do find it in the wild. I've not run into any problems with it over powering my garden but, this could be do to my zone, soil, and/or sun conditions.

If you place it in your lined pond I cannot see how it would create any problem what so ever. If placed in your garden it will creap but I've found it very managable.

Reaction score
Yes all my plants will be in baskets of gravel in the pond or floating so i cant see how it or anything else could get out of control. it only has so much room to grow. and having a raised pond there is no way for anything to get into the ground around the pond and spread out.

Reaction score
Airic said:
Good info Squidhead and proper to point out any warnings as I should of but, I've not found anything fearful of this plant. As a caution, it is listed on the invasive spiecies list for here in Indiana but, feel its listed due to it not being native to the area and it can spread as I do find it in the wild. I've not run into any problems with it over powering my garden but, this could be do to my zone, soil, and/or sun conditions.

If you place it in your lined pond I cannot see how it would create any problem what so ever. If placed in your garden it will creap but I've found it very managable.

Don't get me wrong. That's why I put 2 somewhat different "opinions" up as reference. It all depends on your maintenance. As long as you keep it trimmed, your should be OK, that's if it goes nuts at all. I am not against plants in the pond at all, in fact the opposite. I will have something in mine I'm sure....eventually.

Reaction score
The big thing about invasive species plants it to not dispose of your excess in a lake or river. Throw then in a trash bag and dispose of in your trash can. Be responsible.

Reaction score
Mrshkoiluver said:
The big thing about invasive species plants it to not dispose of your excess in a lake or river. Throw then in a trash bag and dispose of in your trash can. Be responsible.

Agreed, better yet is to offer to sell them to other ponders and aquarists through eBay, fish/pond forums like this or even to the LFS near your home.

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Squid. Check, after the pump.

Airic, where in Indiana? I was looking for some dark green for ground cover around my pond. All I find in the stores is lightgreen too?

Reaction score
linc2010 said:
Thanks for the feedback Squid. Check, after the pump.

Airic, where in Indiana? I was looking for some dark green for ground cover around my pond. All I find in the stores is lightgreen too?

This filter isn't meant to be kept in all the time. It will clog after a while. Some filters have a by-pass already on the filter, but they are about $40, the bare bones type one is about $20

Reaction score
I'm in Fortville, Indiana, its about 15 miles Northeast of Indianapolis. I don't know why they never have the dark green. I tend to like the dark green more but have been thinking about mixing the two.

Reaction score
I find that septum (spelling) works well along my pond here in browns burg. It comes in yellow, light green, dark green and a redish purple color. Spreads fast, can be controlled and likes to creep into the pond.

Ask a Question