Aeration: Surface vs Submerged air

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I linked a video showing the surface aeration the pond gets from the waterfall , stream with short falls and changes in water direction and a DIY spitter . I see a lot of ponders using disc diffusers and /or air stones with a pump. I wanted to know if the surface aeration contributes as much oxygen into the water as the submerged aerators.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Gordo33 By having your stream going over a waterfall you are increasing this surface that is exposed to the air/atmosphere many times. The bad gasses can be released to the air and oxygen absorbed very easily. Your spitter is doing the same thing at the surface.

However you still want to circulate the water in the deep part of the pond in order to help with the break down of organic materials therefore providing better water quality. During warm weather draw water from the bottom of the pond to expose it to the atmosphere (during the winter raise near the surface). When you expose the bottom of the pond to oxygen rich water you will have aerobic bacteria breaking down the organics in your pond. This will reduce foul odors in the pond also, which are caused by anaerobic bacteria action.

This also depends on how deep your pond is, if your pond is only 18" then the waterfall alone most likely will be fine. If your pond is 5ft deep the surface turn over will not do much.

I feel using both systems of surface movement by some sort of turbulence and aeration in the pond is the best way to go.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wow a little grumpy today. Go back to bed

Not attacking you at all but that drives me nuts too. I just do not like video in that orientation. I guess that is personal. Feel free to post video how you want. On a side note everything looks very clear at your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
During warm weather draw water from the bottom of the pond to expose it to the atmosphere (during the winter raise near the surface).
I have an above liner bottom drain that sits in the deep end ---3 feet--
. The water is pulled up from a submersible pump housed in one of the skimmers and currently feeds the waterfall. Does surface water head to the bottom creating a constant turnover?
Not attacking you at all but that drives me nuts too. I just do not like video in that orientation. I
I don't mind the criticism. I actually agree. I took it this morning before heading out to work and after loading it thought the view didn't look good. I was just busting on Mucky_waters since that was the first response I got.
Thanks for the detailed explaination
On a side note everything looks very clear at your pond.
Thanks.. I'm hoping it stays that way. This is the second season following a rebuild with new liner. My original pond took a few years to mature and would green up for a few weeks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have an above liner bottom drain that sits in the deep end ---3 feet--
. The water is pulled up from a submersible pump housed in one of the skimmers and currently feeds the waterfall. Does surface water head to the bottom creating a constant turnover?
I would say yes because you are moving the water at the bottom vs my skimmer which only pulls off the top. However that is a guess on my part.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I would say yes because you are moving the water at the bottom vs my skimmer which only pulls off the top. However that is a guess on my part.
I have a kit to test dissolved O2. I will test the surface water and water in the deep end . I'll track this as the weather gets warmer.

Reaction score
@cas No worries, all answers are welcome
Except for mine, I guess. :(

;) Sorry Gordo, nothing personal, but I've been seeing a lot of these vertical videos lately that don't really fit into the horizontal formats they are meant to be displayed on and you end up with a 2/3rds of the video blacked out on either side, it's like you are looking through a keyhole. The cell phones nowadays are capable of taking really spectacular video if given a chance. Granted, it's not necessary for every video to be an epic bit of cinema, but considering how simple the solution is to make it fit the format it is suppose to be displayed in, which looks so much better, I just don't understand why so many people still continue to film vertically.

As far as aeration and oxygen levels in your pond, it looks like you have a lot of water movement and turnover in your pond I can't see how you couldn't be achieving 100% oxygen saturation (relative to water temperature) already.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Except for mine, I guess. :(

;) Sorry Gordo, nothing personal,
I commented several posts ago I took a quick video and wasn't paying attention to the orientation. I didn't have time to redo after realizing the format wasn't good .... anyway I didn't take it personal I was busting you first because it was the first response and second I was hoping to get more info from you. I've read a lot of your comments over the years and respect your knowledge.
Thanks for adding your input

Ask a Question