Tea coloured pond water

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My thought is that you may need a bigger hose. I dont know if that'd help but you could try :) Or get an air pump or a little fountain.

Cute pond!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It just comes down to over filtering and less feeding fish .The more waste fish produce the worst your water quality will be .I have 2 filters on my pond and second one is going to do nothing but pick up fine stuff when i get pond rebuilt .I also have 2 pumps.Cute baby by the way

Reaction score
I added Algizin by Waterlife last Friday, while reading your posts, and the cloudiness got worse.

Shakaho, i will follow your advise and remove the Koi next weekend.

So, when i will change by filter to an upflow way, the way filtering media should stay in the same manner? Water coming form the pond gowing through gravel in the bottom, then meshed bags with bio balls, then through the filter pads, then quilt battling and then the outlet on top of the filter back to the pond, or the other way round.

If its that way, how will the roots of the plant grown on top of the filter tank will grow as they will be interrupetd by the quilt battling and filter pads

Thanks...

Any mechanical filtration should come before the biomedia. You have gravel in the bottom, and really don't need further mechanical filtration. At most, use a filter pad between the gravel and the biomedia. I always have the plants in pots of gravel at the top of the filter. A filter pad for them to sit on might be useful. In my experience, quilt batting used in the filter clogs and causes an overflow, which can drain your pond. A basket of quilt batting under the outflow of the filter provides very good fines filtration.

Reaction score
Day 4 and the pond water is still crystal clear.. Lets see if it stays like that!!!!

One more and final question. Now the water enters from the bottom of the filter tank, and goes through the gravel to reach the top.
Since i did this setup, i can hear the pond pump, making a low noise, looking like its getting stressed pumping water through the gravel, which might lead to failure if i leave it like that.
Should i remove some gravel, and is there a rule of how much gravel should be placed in a filter?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did you use a long piece of pvc or something with a bunch of holes / slashes cut into it? that will spread out the water flow and decrease the pressure. We have slits cut in our 2 inch pvc about every 6 inches (26 foot long pvc pipes)

Reaction score
After a week and so of replacing the filter and adding more plants in the pond and in the filter tank everything goes well.. At last!!!!
Will have to wait and see how things will go with the time.
Hydrogen Peroxide will be added tomorrow for preventive reasons, as has been suggested.

I would like to thank you all, once again for your informative replies, and mostly for your valuable time you spent on trying to support me.. :)

Reaction score
So, here is my update.
After adding liquid hydrogen peroxide, the water the day after turned green, and now its cloudy green. The walls of the liner are clean and free of algae build up, its only the water.

Reaction score
You are getting some good advice here and now I will give you the best advice... Stop pouring things into your pond! The only thing you should be putting into your pond is clean water. Oh, and some food. Another item that was mentioned briefly was that the biofiltration media always comes after the mechanical filtration media. To add to that, the biomedia needs to be in an oxygen rich environment, at the top of the filter, which should be open to the air. The bio bugs need lots of oxygen to function efficiently. I have read they are up to 10 times as efficient in an oxygen rich environment, rather than in a closed up pressure filter. It has been said before and I will say it again... That pond needs more water movement. I can not see any in the picture. If you can not buy another pump, my suggestion is this, return the water to the pond from as high as possible. My water falls about 2 feet from my filter back into the pond. That creates a lot of splashing etc. You will also be able to use the money you save by not buying things to pour into the pond to buy another pump. Keep in mind that if your pump says 1000 lph (or whatever it says), that is the max flow with no resistance. It looks like you are pumping it a good ways through a small hose. That could actually cut your flow in half or more. Looking at the way the water trickles back into the pond, I believe your flow is severely reduced.

Reaction score
After looking at the pictures more closely, I would take that canister filter and set it right on the edge of the pond and let the water just splash right back in. If you don't like the color, empty it out, dry it off, and spray paint the outside. Paint it green and brown in different random patterns, to help it blend it. Let it dry, fill it back up, and get it going.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pressure filters just never seem to work the great .The water gets stale inside those tanks as it runs through them .I had 2 and learned fast that they do not work ,it smelled like an open sewer and I was backflushing them 3 or 4 times a day and they got canned 9 years ago .The muck on the liner is the good stuff that fish like to eat .I only use peroxide to clean my quilt batting and and filter material .Maybe you need an aerator since air may be the problem ,I put an aerator hose in my filters and the other 2 go in the pond .Overfeeding can add to poor water quality also .Spawning also adds to it .

Ask a Question