Potted pond for a Tea Garden??

CreativeHearts

Birthday cake waterlily
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello

I am opening an outdoor Tea Room (so a Tea Garden) in tropical Queensland.

The plants will mostly be water-wise varieties, as the "garden" will be in pots. However, I love waterlilies and I love pond fish, so I'm hoping to add one or two water pots, ie potted ponds! What are my chances of growing a flowering waterlily in one pot? Bareroot? And are there any fish suitable... guppies? I've heard fish will eat the lily.

Thanks in advance for advice

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well...
Depends on the size of the pond/pot (really confused on that)
and how much filtration there is...
cycled, uncycled...
etcetcetc

CreativeHearts

Birthday cake waterlily
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well...
cycled, uncycled...
etcetcetc
I haven't set anything up yet, so I'm looking for recommendations. I guess it can't be too big or it would be impossible to move (if necessary). At the moment all I have pebbled road base over a mud patch!

CreativeHearts

Birthday cake waterlily
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well...
cycled, uncycled...
etcetcetc
Sorry for confusion. I was just trying to say that its not an inground pond, but a large pot with water... but would not be bigger than say 3'

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Three feet may not be wide enough except for the very dwarf Waterlilies. You may find a couple of varieties that have a leaf spread of 3 feet or less. In addition, the pot must be at least 18 inches deep to insure proper growth. But the biggest problem with your idea is that Waterlilies will not grow bareroot.

CreativeHearts

Birthday cake waterlily
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Three feet may not be wide enough except for the very dwarf Waterlilies. You may find a couple of varieties that have a leaf spread of 3 feet or less. In addition, the pot must be at least 18 inches deep to insure proper growth. But the biggest problem with your idea is that Waterlilies will not grow bareroot.
OH! Okay... I googled bareroot waterlily and that's how I found these forums. There is someone here who definitely thinks they grow bareroot, but you've answered it. I guess in such a small area, weight of lily in a pot is not an issue. If the lily is potted within the pond, then I guess fish are not going to eat it, right?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
OH! Okay... I googled bareroot waterlily and that's how I found these forums. There is someone here who definitely thinks they grow bareroot, but you've answered it. I guess in such a small area, weight of lily in a pot is not an issue. If the lily is potted within the pond, then I guess fish are not going to eat it, right?

The only fish that is really destructive of aquatic plants is Koi and they certainly won't fit into the size container you are thinking about.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I honestly wouldn't put any fish in the container (just my opinion). Which leaves you with "how will I get nutrients in there" you can use dead leaves for this.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The have mini lilies and a ponder on here has one in a large pot watergarden

Ask a Question