The 2013 frog thread

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
well, you'd just have to ASK them, of course! :LOL: Tads, not the eggs...

Seriously, might have to actually raise a brood or two to know what you have. If I find any here, I'm sure I'll have to do the same as I don't want bullfrogs, just something small and numerous to liven up the bog area of my pond. I would imagine the resident green frog will also have to be monitored so as not to wipe out any new species until they're established.

I understand and I'll check Michigan's wildlife service and see if that's an option. Hadn't thought of that avenue. Keep me in mind if something looks viable though, huh?

Michael

Reaction score
Our version of the Western Chorus Frog is the Pacific Chorus Frog . Both are actually a form of tree frog and only go in the water to mate and breed, The rest of the time they'll be found just about anywhere else. The Pacific frogs are the only type of frog I have found around my home, Because they like to sing you can often hear them in the evening and if you take the time you can follow their sound to their location, although they can be incredibly hard to actually spot since they usually hang out in semi buried hiding spots. I have only once heard one in my pond area, but even then I heard his voice coming from the rocks around the waterfall, he wasn't actually in the water. Most of the time when I've have heard them and followed their voice, it ends up coming from areas unrelated to the pond, like in rain gutters and under piles of stored stuff, we have even found them in the house. Any time I actually find one I'll toss him in the pond, but I don't really hold out much hope of them staying there, unlike my other frogs, these chorus frogs are excellent climbers and seem to be on the move all the time.
I have found them in the water though, and if you want to catch some you should go to some pond or swampy lake in the spring or early summer where you can hear them in the evening after dark, You'll need some deep boots or hip waders, a strong flashlight and a long handled butterfly net. Walk very slowly towards their voice, keep the flashlight pointed forward and a sharp eye out, they are tough to spot. If you walk too fast the'll just dive underwater before you can get close enough and you'll never see them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've seen those cute little frogs in the pet stores and wondered how they would do in a tank. Wonder where they come from in the wild?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've seen those cute little frogs in the pet stores and wondered how they would do in a tank. Wonder where they come from in the wild?
Africa. Whatever you do, don't put any in your pond!!!
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Do I dare ask why? I think they'd freeze their little frog butts in my pond anyways
weather12.gif

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
NEWS HEADLINE: African clawed frogs taking over ponds in the Arlington, Washington area!!! Destroying native frogs, vegetation, etc.!! Have you seen the videos of the jumping carp? Round Gobies in the Great Lakes drainage? The list is long, and growing steadily. NEVER release foreign species into the wild!!!!! :yikesu:
John

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Actually, I have relatives in Colorado, and as long as they keep me on a leash, I AM allowed south of the border. :nananananana:
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Actually, I have relatives in Colorado, and as long as they keep me on a leash, I AM allowed south of the border. :nananananana:
John

a short short short leash!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
These little aquatic frogs that I got do not ever leave the water and are very small. I just love them, they are about an inch in size Max. I don't think these are the ones that live on trees cause the NEVER leave the water!

Attachments

• IMAG4451.jpg
    IMAG4451.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 215
  • IMAG4447.jpg
    IMAG4447.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMAG4444.jpg
    IMAG4444.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 197

Ask a Question