This means WAR!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by capewind, Aug 29, 2013.

1. capewind

bettasngoldfish Maria

any updates?

bettasngoldfish, Sep 15, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. capewind

capewind

He was back this morning .. first time since I last said he was here ... Hubby sat watching him this morning ... it was the first time he was observed with the string I have around the ponds ...

So he arrived to his favorite tree about 5:30 am ... stayed there for about 15-20 minutes, then flew down into the backyard where he WALKED over to the lower pond, looked at the string ... paced the long backside a few times ... walked over to the bridge, walked back and forth a few times ON the bridge, just staring at the fish, and then WALKED up the stairs (4 30-36" wide rocks) and walked around the main pond ... He just kept staring at the string ... hubby said he could tell he was thinking ... but never attempted to put his head through the string ... after about half an hour of watching, hubby chased him off ... When I went out there this morning, I was amazed at all the tracks from his feet ... it looked like 100 birds had walked around, the tracks were everywhere ... So it looks like string might work ... Im not going to trust the YARN I have up now, but beef it up, and get some lines going OVER the ponds ...

capewind, Sep 15, 2013
    callingcolleen1 and j.w like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. capewind

capewind

Oh, and my lovely neighbors want to still take it day by day ... idiots!!!

capewind, Sep 15, 2013
  4. capewind

bettasngoldfish Maria

wow, I hope the string continues to work at keeping him out. cant believe how persistent he is :grumble:

I hope the neighbors don't wait until it's too late...

bettasngoldfish, Sep 15, 2013
  5. capewind

capewind

As long as he cant get our fish, he can hang out all he wants ... just going to beef it up with string and fishing line, and more posts ...

As for the neighbor, I am starting to not like them at all ... I think their day by day means they will enjoy watching the fish on their weekends here (til the house is sold), and when there are no more fish, oh well ... had a neighbor like this in the past ,.. used to let the dogs run loose ... when one would get killed in the road, they'd just go to the shelter and get another ...

capewind, Sep 15, 2013
  6. capewind

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

The string and twine works good for me now for the past two years. Good to hear it is keeping the shape beak of that heron away from your pond.

Your neighbors suck, hope they move away soon and you get nicer fish people who are more attentive to the pond! :)

callingcolleen1, Sep 19, 2013
  7. capewind

capewind

So far, so good with the heron.

As for the neighbors, my fondness for them continues to grow ... hubby went over and took care of the deer strewn across the yard, and they couldnt even say thank you while they were down this weekend ... When they come back next weekend, they'll find a BILL in the door.

capewind, Sep 19, 2013
    j.w and callingcolleen1 like this.
  8. capewind

I am lucky, neighbors only on one side and they are nice, but no neighbors at all on the other side of me cause they were all flood damaged with sewer backup, and none are fixed yet, and most will most likely be torn down.... so only me and the neighbor who's house faces my pond, are left on the whole block! :)

Nobody else here left on my side of the block left to complain about! :)

callingcolleen1, Sep 19, 2013
  9. capewind

capewind

That sounds messy ...

We have over 3 acres, so none of our neighbors are that close ... the neighbor who used to own the house was a bit weird (she was a liberal shrink, and he was just a nut), but they were "nice" ... Every oppurtunity SHE made cookies for the kids ... and they were both in favor of hiring the kids for odd jobs ... The neighbor on the other side, well, the cranky old man died and his kids only come down a few weekends a year, so it is quiet there ... the house across the street, we love him ... He has LOTS of personality to put it mildly:)

capewind, Sep 19, 2013
    j.w likes this.
  10. capewind

HARO Pondcrastinator

An idle mind, they say, is the Devil's playground. I made the mistake of letting my mind go idle, and came up with an idea. How would a paintball marker (gun) work on herons? I'm not familiar with these, but I understand that the paintballs are relatively harmless, even though they sting a bit. Would a nice yellow 'SPLAT' be enough to deter Big Bird? It seems a more humane method than a 410. There must be members on here who have and use these markers. Any ideas? :confused:
    John

HARO, Sep 20, 2013
    capewind likes this.
  11. capewind

capewind

Define "relatively harmless" to the Feds ... to kill or harm is illegal:-(

capewind, Sep 21, 2013
  12. capewind

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Trouble is you get rid of one, another one will come. I never knew we had herons here until the first time one landed. Now know we have heron rookeries near. They still fly over and still keep going, think the net is seen by them, big weave high over the pond, 4 feet or so.

addy1, Sep 21, 2013
    callingcolleen1, j.w and capewind like this.
  13. capewind

bettasngoldfish Maria

Just wondering how things are going with the neighbors? I hope the fish are okay?......

bettasngoldfish, Oct 16, 2013
  14. capewind

capewind

I am no longer on speaking terms with the neighbor ... read that to mean most of their fish became food and they dont give a hoot, and I sometimes have a hard time biting my tongue. Cant wait til the new neighbor moves in ... hopefully better people!

Our ponds are doing better. The Heron I wrote about back on page one finally left without another meal ... replaced by a Crane, who sadly got away with one of my favorite little guys (a really pretty ginrin) but hasnt been back ... and then on the 14th, we got a new Heron (only in the 20-24" range) and while he still visits, he wont get close to the strings around the ponds...

capewind, Oct 17, 2013
  15. capewind

Sorry to hear the crane made off with one of your favorite fisH! Life's aways a struggle sometimes... I had to save the fish from my sister's place, she has lost interest in her pond and yard, and it shows! Now she is off on a vacation with a new boyfriend and could not be bothered to care for her fish anymore, at least she offered them to me instead of leaving them to die as so many do.

Hope that bad fishy neighbor sells his house and move's away soon.

callingcolleen1, Oct 17, 2013
  16. capewind

We finally found out why we see herons fly over our house and pond constantly. There is a heron rookery, 6 miles from our house (as a bird flies). They might be heading for the creek that runs to the east of us, or a farm pond or who knows. I just know we are right under their flight path. So the net will be on all of the time. They did not stop by at all this summer, did see one flying over actually pause over our pond and look down, but it kept going.

addy1, Oct 17, 2013
  17. capewind

capewind

Supposedly the house was closing in Oct but this folks dont seem overly bright either. The deal was subject to a home inspection, and when I was addressing the house, and that the buyers saw the property with fish, they said there was no P&S (purchased and sales agreement) ... Weird, since a home inspection is usually part of the P&S ,, there is no "sold" sign on the for sale sign either ..

capewind, Oct 17, 2013
  18. capewind

capewind

Addy, as the bird flies, it is impossible to be more than a mile from ocean, an ocean inlet, or marshland ,,, When we rebuilt the house, trying to avoid the new hurricane models under the building code upgrades, it took three GPS maps to get the back wall of the house 1.03 miles from mean high tide (physical beach) ... to the west, we have a river inlet (runs north/south) only a quarter mile away (surrounded by marshlands) ... I think this area is the problem. For the last year they have been rebuilding the bridge and brought in huge cranes and drilling equipment this spring to POUND in what look like telephone poles as piers to support the bridge. They got a new temp bridge built next to the old one to redirect the traffic, and they just a few weeks ago started on the real bridge ..

capewind, Oct 17, 2013
  19. capewind

After living in arizona, the amount of water around here was darn right impressive. In arizona, phoenix, you have lots of man made water features, lakes, canals etc. We are more in the hills, eastern shore is like what you have, tons of waters.

addy1, Oct 17, 2013
  20. capewind

capewind

The fact that we do have so much water is why we normally wouldnt see them in the yard, and why I am thinking it may be related to the bridge construction.

capewind, Oct 17, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question