MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have read two opinions on this. One says do not trim the cattail and do not submerge. The other says trim and submerge. I am in zone 6a. What's the best way to overwinter my dwarf cattail? My pond is above ground-30" deep. I was planning to trim and submerge on a concrete block in the middle of the pond at the mid water level. Same with my hardy dwarf water lily.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So, the cattails can freeze then?

*Aside* You mentioned in another thread this morning that you have raised ponds made from lumber. Do you have pics posted somewhere on GPF?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
lau.gif

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So, the cattails can freeze then?

*Aside* You mentioned in another thread this morning that you have raised ponds made from lumber. Do you have pics posted somewhere on GPF?
I don't have a showcase thread. I will get some current pics this morning and post as someone was asking about the Rock on a roll that I used.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I don't have a showcase thread. I will get some current pics this morning and post as someone was asking about the Rock on a roll that I used.

Thanks. That's the thread where I read you have raised lumber ponds. I'll check them out when you post them in that thread.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Here's some pics of my ponds form this morning. 11x13 with holding area and bog. Depth 2 1/2-4'. Other one is 10x10x5.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    303.5 KB · Views: 438
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 411
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    335.8 KB · Views: 429
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    325.6 KB · Views: 411

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
if you are worried make a pond in your greenhouse .The humidity from a small tank will help the other plants in the greenhouse also .My dad always had 2 stock tanks in our greenhouse growing up in NJ on the farm .You can over winter some other plants in your greenhouse from the pond .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yup. Cattails are hardy. Go ahead and try to kill them. :ROFLMAO:
I think Lisa meant 'nuclear'; hardy is for ordinary northern plants that experience snow and freezing temps. Nuclear is a whole 'nother beast! And as she said; just TRY and kill them. Along with cockroaches, cattails will survive the apocalypse.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think Lisa meant 'nuclear'; hardy is for ordinary northern plants that experience snow and freezing temps. Nuclear is a whole 'nother beast! And as she said; just TRY and kill them. Along with cockroaches, cattails will survive the apocalypse.

I was trying not to scare anyone!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was trying not to scare anyone!
It's too late, Lisa--he already opened the door and let them walk in! Now, it's just a matter of time before they take over...poor fella, never will know what hit him...I'll begin the eulogy if you arrange for the flowers...

Ask a Question