Tip for the absent-minded?

Reaction score
Any tips for reminding oneself to turn off the water when topping off pond. Within a month I have become distracted in the garden and let water flow overnight three times? Is there a gadget, tip or gizmo out there that could alert me when the pond is full? A floating bottle that rises to tip a lever that...?????

Reaction score
Good one! You're right. Once I'm back in the house, I'm done.
I bet one of those "do not disturb" hotel door hangers would work too if I hung it on back door when I intended to fill pond.

Thanks!

Reaction score
You can get a watershut off, kinda like a toilet float. When the pond water gets to a certain height it shuts off. The timer would work nice also, if you know how long your water needs to run.

When adding to our pond, which is only a few time a year, I don't have the water on high, I hook up a spray nozzle and "spray" the water into the pond. It is more of a rain affect, should help get rid of the chlorine. It also do it on a day that I have things to do outside, like mowing the lawn. Let it fill up slow for a while, and if I want more, just crank it on high and wait the few minutes until it is topped off.

Reaction score
I put something (anything) in my path back to the house. If I am feeding the fish too I will take the food bag and put it right on the steps leading back to the house. Having something visual like that reminds me that I need to do *something*, then it is just a matter of remembering what. :icon_smile:

Reaction score
I have done this same thing with both filling and draining the pond. After a big rain we need to drain off some water and I almost let it go dry then had to fill it again, then filled it too much, so back to draining. I let my husband do it now. :icon_mrgreen:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yeah, i forgot and filled my basement pond too high the other day after a water change, and yesterday one of my platinums jumped out and i found him on the basement floor, almost dead, barely breathing,dry to the touch, and i nursed him for a while last night. had me worried. seems O.K. now!!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i was gonna do something here ...what was it? oh crap! i cant remember, what the heck was it? oh well... maybe later.

Ask a Question