Tips for avoiding headaches on liner install.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Here and there I keeping hearing about liner install difficulties especially with 4sided 90 degree ponds. So boom, here’s your new little pond. Your “box” is 60” x 43” x 28” deep. You have the correct liner. The inside of your box is green treated ply and the bottom is 2” certifoam. If this was yours, could you take me step by step on installing with it not looking like how I made my bed this morning? I watched the videos (vague) and my books pretty much say “ then install your liner” which is real helpful. Thanks pond dwellers! Peace, Sparky

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wish I could help you, but all I know about liner installation is to fold it in half, then lay it in exactly half the pond, then unfold the other side, smooth the large wrinkles and let the water do the rest as the pond fills.
If there is a better way I'm interested cause I'm about to start digging my second pond and liner installation makes me nervous.

Good luck! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I know. Nervous is the word for it. I shouldn’t be but I can’t get it out of my head. It’s not big and I guess when it’s time, it will be.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A rectangle is actually easier. You can keep all your folds in the corners. @sissy can maybe help here - she's a rectangular pond builder! And @Gemma has the basics - fold it in half, then in half again. That's your center point. Unfold first one half, then the other half. Now you're in the right place. Now fold your corners! haha! I know - the hard part. If I were you I'd search for "how to box a table cloth" videos - same concept, in reverse and you'll find some good videos!

The other word of advice I'll give is to watch those folds - keep them above the water line on the outside of the pond as they can wick water up and out if you don't.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
DO NOT DO WHAT I DID .I got under the liner after I got it in and treated it like doing a pie crust and could not find my way out the water fall side .Would have made it on funniest home video's if some one was taping it .Try to get help .sure wish I had some because those liners are heavy .Also leave the liner unfolded in the sun it make more supple

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Now @sissy I don't think you've ever told us that story before! That could have been the end of you!

I think @Sparky has a smaller pond than yours, so maybe he won't feel the need to climb in!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, @sissy, I would have freaked out big time! My claustrophobia kicks in when I’m “confined” like that! I freak if I can’t get out of a shirt!

@Sparky It may have been mentioned, but it never hurts to have a helper! And yes, it’s all in the folds, both when you’re smoothing it out, AND when you get it ready to actually lay down in the hole. Think about folding your bed comforter so that all you have to do is place it on the bed (center, or whatever you uses as your starting point), and just unfolding it into place. Does that make sense? Then you work your folds around, filling the pond with water can help here.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh my gosh a shirt now that is funny ;):)Main reason I went rectangle it is like making a bed .4 folds in the corners .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
You folks all missed the point. I don’t want it to look like a bed I made. For reasons my wife would love to explain to you all. Table cloth? What the hell is that?!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You folks all missed the point. I don’t want it to look like a bed I made. For reasons my wife would love to explain to you all. Table cloth? What the hell is that?!
OK, I guess we did miss the point, so.....can you be a little more specific, then? What part of “installing the liner” are you stuck on exactly? We were only trying to give you tips based on been-there, done-that, but if there is a different stage of installation, maybe we can still help you figure it out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
OK, I guess we did miss the point, so.....can you be a little more specific, then? What part of “installing the liner” are you stuck on exactly? We were only trying to give you tips based on been-there, done-that, but if there is a different stage of installation, maybe we can still help you figure it out.
My bad attempt at humor. It’s up in the original post. Your input is helping indeed. So, locate center then position over the box folded long way in half. Maneuver center down to bottom center unfold a bit then add a bit of water at a time working the folds out as you go. Did I get that right?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
015.JPG
015.JPGWhen I did the liner for this one, did just as several people said about centering it, then unfold. I was working by myself so this was a big project and NOT fun. Pond 10x10x5. I ran the liner up one wall at a time and anchored it with clamps. Smoothed out the liner on the wall all the way to the corners. Did all 4 walls and then took excess liner in corners and folded the triangular piece under the liner onto the wall. Think of wrapping a christmas gift. I just wish I would have thought to tape the corners. As the pond fills, it will push the folds out. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mrsclem I’m currently building an above ground pond like the one that you posted pictures of. I’m almost to the liner installation. Do you have any tips or recommendations for me? Also did you install any of the lines/tubing through the liner? At this point any input from you to finish my installation would be greatly appreciated. Also I’d like to know how it’s holding up at this point? Thank you in advance.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We just removed all the fish from this pond and drained it. The walls bowed out last year and it got so bad this summer that collapse was going to happen. No holes cut in liner, everything went over the top.
How big is your pond and how is it constructed?
If you are dealing with a large liner, get someone to help. Not a one person job but it can be done, smooth walls out and fold excess at an angle to one side of corner behind the liner on wall.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 305
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 305

Ask a Question