Bog Tips?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thinking of adding a bog to my pond, looking at the stickied thread there's a lot of great information in it (https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/bog-building.6894/)

Just wondering if anyone has some tips or can look at what I'm planning to do for some feedback.

See my "great" pictures below ;). Bog would be uplflow - off the end of the pond, raised (about 2.5ft), spill over into the pond.

Questions I have:
  • Should I still keep a waterfall for better water movement in addition to the bog? I can add a second pump or increase my pump size and then split it to two lines - one to the bog, one to a waterfall.
  • Is it better for the bog water to go through the UV/bio filter first or not go through the it?
  • Any best bog media from experience?
Thanks!

Current pond setup:
OxCZhRB.png

What I'm thinking for the bog setup:
GGEbR3e.png

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would utilize two (2) pumps. A smaller one for the 'bog'
It matters not whether a UV is on the flow to the "bog'.
Additionally if the 'bog' is just additional filtration, as you are planning, a larger gravel such as 'Egg' rock or 'Potato' rock will serve your purpose better than pea gravel.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Questions I have:
  • Should I still keep a waterfall for better water movement in addition to the bog? I can add a second pump or increase my pump size and then split it to two lines - one to the bog, one to a waterfall.

I use one pump that splits to the bog and waterfall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I would utilize two (2) pumps. A smaller one for the 'bog'
It matters not whether a UV is on the flow to the "bog'.
Additionally if the 'bog' is just additional filtration, as you are planning, a larger gravel such as 'Egg' rock or 'Potato' rock will serve your purpose better than pea gravel.
Great, thank you.

Should I do a layer of the bigger rock and a smaller layer of pea gravel ontop for the plants to root in or will most be able to root just fine in the larger rock too?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Great, thank you.

Should I do a layer of the bigger rock and a smaller layer of pea gravel ontop for the plants to root in or will most be able to root just fine in the larger rock too?

They wil root fine in the larger river rock.
The otheer advantage of having two (2) pumps is if one pump goes bad, you stiill have another working and providing biofiltration.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use one pump, external, the pumps output is split between the bog, a small amount of flow to three other ponds that are in a loop and my 1000 gallon pond that waterfalls back into the big pond.

It has been running for years, but I also have a few pumps sitting in the basement ready to be put into use if it fails.

The plants will root in just about anything. I have some rooting in the stream, in a tiny bit of gravel. Need to move them ow I will end up with a overflow.

Ask a Question