To many fish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good morning. have put off asking this for a lot of years. Our pond is 1500 gals., with a Savio skimmer and filter, waterfall. has a 3200 gpm pump and one 57 watt UV light, use to run 2 of these. The filter media I have use from day 1 is a narrow green ribbon in the filter and does a really good job. We have 4 large koi maybe 20" and 5 years old and 12 leftover from 70 or so that showed up one day, wasn't planned. We gave away about 60 and kept 12, they are 8 to 10". I feed the fish once a day around 4PM and they get 6 oz of Koi food. My problem is that I have to clean the filter out about every 5 days and it is full of muck for lack of a better work. I have this filter plumb away from the pond and open a valve to drain the filter only. I then start pulling out the ribbon a little and a time and rinse as I pull out, I do this until I have it all out and clean. I shut my valve off and put ribbon back into filter and add water to fill filter. Turn the pump back on and sit and enjoy. I have been doing this same procedure for 10 years. Would like to know if there is something I'm doing wrong, the water is clear. I will try and attach 2 pics of my pond. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0783.jpeg
    IMG_0783.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0784.jpeg
    IMG_0784.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 49

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Think you nailed it with the title of this thread! Way too many koi. I have the Savio waterfall filter on my pond along with a 2 -55 gallon barrel filter and a good size bog. I clean my savio every 3-4 weeks, usually just opening the bottom drain does the job. See if you can find homes for your koi. Advertise on Craigslist, Facebook or local papers. I need to rehome at least 2 dozen koi this summer, just need to find time to catch them!
BTW- Welcome and you haveabeautiful pond!

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes it is fish overload but your setup and cleaning looks well done as to why your fish are still healthy in appearance and eating habits. That might change at anytime. I have Savio as well. Your skimmer box has a basket and filter mesh?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Think you nailed it with the title of this thread! Way too many koi. I have the Savio waterfall filter on my pond along with a 2 -55 gallon barrel filter and a good size bog. I clean my savio every 3-4 weeks, usually just opening the bottom drain does the job. See if you can find homes for your koi. Advertise on Craigslist, Facebook or local papers. I need to rehome at least 2 dozen koi this summer, just need to find time to catch them!
BTW- Welcome and you haveabeautiful pond!
Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes it is fish overload but your setup and cleaning looks well done as to why your fish are still healthy in appearance and eating habits. That might change at anytime. I have Savio as well. Your skimmer box has a basket and filter mesh?
Thanks for the reply. I haven't use the filter mesh in 5 years, was having to clean every other day. Once I get back to just the 4 big fish and a almost black one I will add it back in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well to go along with everyone else….. too many Koi…. I have 3000 gallons with a Ultima 6000 with a large pool pump pushing water through it….. on a side note, I used the same pump as my swimming pool so if my pond pump quit, I would gladly sacrifice the swimming pool for my pond. But I also have a Savio waterfall and skimmer packed full of bio media…., on top of that I have a plant overload growing in the water, to the point that you can only see the fish at one end of the pond…. And I have six large koi and 1 small goldfish, four of them probably 15 to twenty pounds . Had 7 large koi but had one that somehow broke his back 4 years ago, he kept going for all that time swimming with a crooked back, but it finally got the best of him this spring. But I won’t replace him…. I learned a hard lesson when I first started my pond…. Less is better, no problems, no testing water you can look at the fish and see that they are happy….. just my opinion

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks for the reply. I haven't use the filter mesh in 5 years, was having to clean every other day. Once I get back to just the 4 big fish and a almost black one I will add it back in.
Ya it's tough to part with the ones that had spawned and you watched grow. I have that problem with goldfish.

Ask a Question