Trex for water feature?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can Trex be used for a water feature that cycles water from the pond over the Trex and back into the pond containing fish?

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I assume you are talking about the decking product? I am not quite understanding what the purpose of that would be, but the main concern with using a composite decking material in a pond with fish and other wildlife would be it leaking chemicals and other potentially toxic things into the pond. A member here recently did a test to see if a roof liner product would be safe to use by putting it in a tank with a couple feeder goldfish, and I think that could be used in your situation as well.

Other members will probably have better insight to provide though. ( assuming you aren't a bot, just realizing that this could be a spam post )

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not a spam. I have a water wheel that’s been hooked up for years to cycle my pond’s water. The wood is worn out and I’d like to replace it. Wondering about Trex and safety using with fish. I can go with untreated, natural wood, but was looking for something that would last longer and stay looking nice.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Not a spam. I have a water wheel that’s been hooked up for years to cycle my pond’s water. The wood is worn out and I’d like to replace it. Wondering about Trex and safety using with fish. I can go with untreated, natural wood, but was looking for something that would last longer and stay looking nice.
Makes sense, I have always thought a water wheel would be really cool!

I think in that situation it wouldn't be a problem, as it isn't constantly submerged in water just sitting there and leaching chemicals.

I also just did some quick googling, and the overall consensus seems that it is non toxic, and some have even used it in ponds/aquariums.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1645204566763.gif
@Pondponderer
Oh a waterwheel would be awesome! Can you show pictures of your pond and waterwheel? Would love to see :happy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
View attachment 147845@Pondponderer
Oh a waterwheel would be awesome! Can you show pictures of your pond and waterwheel? Would love to see :happy:
I agree; might even see about whipping one up for my pond, though I'm running out of room! I think something like this should be a main feature and might not be appropo where I'm thinking of putting it...pics would be cool!

What? NO waterwheel anigif??? Hard to believe...

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use it as a cap board on both my raised ponds. Both ponds 10-15 years old. I do not have it constantly submerged.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can Trex be used for a water feature that cycles water from the pond over the Trex and back into the pond containing fish?
Trex is recyled paper and plastic milk crates. now do they also use some plastics that leach oils as all plastics do to an extent .. i do not know but even if they do i doubt its enough to be a problem..
myself id make it from cedar or teak neither a cheap alternative but probably only 30% for cedar over trex but possibly double the cost for teak . both will last for decades.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with @GBBUDD would use natural wood like teak, cedar, ipe. Not crazy about the plastic look, but as was said it isn’t going to hurt anything in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A even coat of preservative toughly dried will even extend there life if you do a pressure wash and spray preservice it will last for decades

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here’s a picture of my water wheel before refurbishing. It may be a while, but I plan to post a picture once it’s refreshed.

Attachments

• 69550E42-BB29-4CCB-B6F9-A08D50FD09B9.jpeg
    69550E42-BB29-4CCB-B6F9-A08D50FD09B9.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
very nice .............. in my book it would be a natural wood ... another species wood be redwood......
1. for the best rot resistance is probably red wood but is very soft.... and expensive soso difficult to find
2. next is teak a hard wood that does well in the weather and is the wood of choice for the exterior of yachts also very expensive and harder to find
3. third place is mahogany . the old wooden boats before fiberglass were usually mahogany this is a great wood to work with and for back when i was a gc it was similarly priced to Pressure treated. For price and availability this is probably your best bet but after covid who the heck knows.
4. Ipe similar to a mix of teak and mahogany it's has reds and lighter colors like mahogany but has grain more like teak. usually the high-end decking you'll find at higher quality lumber yards. and would probably be my choice if i was building it and was going for the look.

Ask a Question