Tropical water Lily in zone 10a

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Hi all.
I moved to California (zone 10a) and have now set up a pond. I cannot find any definitive information on whether or not tropical water lilies will live year-round here. The water can get as cold as mid to upper 40s. The air temperature may get to 40 on a really cold night but I've not seen a frost since moving here 4 years ago

What are your thoughts on this?

I'm pretty sure they will go and dormant from what I understand but will they come back like a hardy water lily in colder climates?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
what I could find via the net is anything zone 9 and above and you're golden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They will go dormant but nothing like their dormancy of a pond in new england 3/4 's of thee plant will die . your will just grow much slower. some strains i'll bet will do better than others

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I live in zone 10a also but in Sarasota FL where the temps have been in the mid thirties and more often 40’s at night for a couple of weeks..my water temperature is 55 right now but my Alexis water lily is still booming every day with a couple of buds always ready to hit the surface

Attachments

• 5E4A3194-DE37-4EEA-9250-EA43B6B526BD.jpeg
    5E4A3194-DE37-4EEA-9250-EA43B6B526BD.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
Country
United States
Consider splitting the difference and growing one of the new Intersubgeneric (ISG) Hybrids between Hardy and Tropical Waterlilies.
If all goes well, I will be growing my first one this year, Nymphaea x 'Detective Erika'.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Consider splitting the difference and growing one of the new Intersubgeneric (ISG) Hybrids between Hardy and Tropical Waterlilies.
If all goes well, I will be growing my first one this year, Nymphaea x 'Detective Erika'.

a great one , Marck, but I've now tried twice and neither time did it bloom. First one died, the second one is MIA (the fish might have pulled it out and I put it back, maybe, in an unlabeled pot). Wasn't too happy with the specimen I got from Pond Megastore; very small rhizome and generally, they sure are high priced! Might wait until prices come down and I can afford to experiment again. Good luck! Your weather is more conducive to success, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I used to live in west Texas 18 years ago, it was USDA zone 7 back then (now it is zone 8). I had a preformed (meaning it was most likely around 18'' deep) pond and I grew a tropical waterlily in it - not sure which cultivar it was, I really didn't care back then, but she had blue/purple flowers. She was in the pond year round, and she also flowered year round. I had her for 3 or 4 years (at least 2 winters, maybe 3), then we moved north and I gave up water gardening for awhile as I had little children and was concerned for their safety.

It is well known that the viviparous tropical waterlilies are more cold-tolerant. Look for cultivars like Tina, Panama Pacific, Daubenyana or such. There are many to choose from, and I believe the purple ones are even more cold-tolerant.

@brokensword I also plan to add Detective Erika to my collection when the prices drop a little. Probably not this year ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@brokensword I also plan to add Detective Erika to my collection when the prices drop a little. Probably not this year ;)
yeah, a real gorgeous flower, for sure. Couldn't believe when I first went looking and they were checking in at over $100. Then I saw a sale, about $60 and tried one. Hated when that one did not survive the winter. So, stupidly bought another when another similar sale came around. That one, I think, is gone too but hoping maybe I rescued it floating after fish pulled it free (there were others and without a label, hard t say for sure which made it and which didn't; need those couple to flower!)

Did you know, all (most?) of these new cultivars come with an agreement that doesn't allow you to distribute cuttings to others? Blew me away when I read that and explained the price, somewhat, and the fact there wasn't a lot of supply. Good luck if you get one someday and for sure, post pics if you get re-blooms! Det Erika is supposed to be free flowering, hence one reason I was willing to try it!

Ask a Question