Water test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys wonder if you can help me out l have a NT Labs test kit

My Ammonia is 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 ph usually between 6.5 and 7.5 kh is 4 gh 5

do l need to do anything to the water the results are usually always the same l have a fresh water tank 500 liters

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Is there a reason you are asking? If everything is going smoothly then I wouldn't change anything. It does surprise me that there are zero nitrates, but if you have a very small organic load it is possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Is there a reason you are asking? If everything is going smoothly then I wouldn't change anything. It does surprise me that there are zero nitrates, but if you have a very small organic load it is possible.
I doubt that too; the plants would be starving without any nitrates. Suspect old test or old eyes (like mine!).

smiley-tongue-on-icy-pole---Xsml.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Guys wonder if you can help me out l have a NT Labs test kit

My Ammonia is 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 ph usually between 6.5 and 7.5 kh is 4 gh 5

do l need to do anything to the water the results are usually always the same l have a fresh water tank 500 liters
Hi. I guess the question is what prompted you to test? Is this a new or old pond and are you having any problems? I haven’t tested the pond I currently have (5 + years) ever but that is because I know what signs to look for like string algae in the spring tells me the pond hasn’t cycled yet or fish flashing in the spring tells me there is too much ammonia or nitrite and I need to start doing water changes and cut down feeding. Test for a newbie can be helpful so they understand what is going on with their pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi. I guess the question is what prompted you to test? Is this a new or old pond and are you having any problems? I haven’t tested the pond I currently have (5 + years) ever but that is because I know what signs to look for like string algae in the spring tells me the pond hasn’t cycled yet or fish flashing in the spring tells me there is too much ammonia or nitrite and I need to start doing water changes and cut down feeding. Test for a newbie can be helpful so they understand what is going on with their pond.
Apparently this is a 500 L tank, rather than a pond. At least, that’s what I gathered — could be wrong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To me, the KH is a bit low.

Don't know what you mean about the pH being between 6.5 and 7.5. is that in one day or on different days?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the test usually are always the same no real plants in tank l use silk plants l have 3 gold fish and 1orfe, its the KH AND GH readings l was wondering about if they were to low

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I still don't understand the pH readings. It should be either 6.5 or 7.5, not a range between numbers.

Are you using liquid tests, and not strips? Liquid tests are more accurate so those are recommended.

The KH is low. There is plenty of information on this site as to how to raise it using baking soda.

The 6.5 pH is also low, in the acidic range. If you use baking soda to raise the KH it will also increase the pH, so you need to not raise it all at once.

Your orfe can grow to over 2 feet long. Some grow over 3 feet. A tank is not the best situation for him and it will be difficult to provide enough filtration for a fish that size in your tank. Orfes, like koi, do best in ponds.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I still don't understand the pH readings. It should be either 6.5 or 7.5, not a range between numbers.

Are you using liquid tests, and not strips? Liquid tests are more accurate so those are recommended.

The KH is low. There is plenty of information on this site as to how to raise it using baking soda.

The 6.5 pH is also low, in the acidic range. If you use baking soda to raise the KH it will also increase the pH, so you need to not raise it all at once.

Your orfe can grow to over 2 feet long. Some grow over 3 feet. A tank is not the best situation for him and it will be difficult to provide enough filtration for a fish that size in your tank. Orfes, like koi, do best in ponds.
yes l am using the liquid test l am going by the colour of the sample it is usually between the two numbers a bit of both if that makes sence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yes l am using the liquid test l am going by the colour of the sample it is usually between the two numbers a bit of both if that makes sence
the orfe is just a baby at moment and really small about 2 inches the other fish are young to,in time l will get a bigger tank

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
the orfe is just a baby at moment and really small about 2 inches the other fish are young to,in time l will get a bigger tank
take a peek at the 'fish weights, ammonia production' chart that is stickied in the Pond Construction forum; I don't think you'll be able to afford (nor have space) for an aquarium the size you're going to need.

The increments between colors is typically .2, so you're saying YOUR color chart goes from 6.5 to 7.5 with no other color increments between? I'd get a new kit, were it mine, if that was the case. You're talking a factor of 10x.

Listen to WG; talkin' truth.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
take a peek at the 'fish weights, ammonia production' chart that is stickied in the Pond Construction forum; I don't think you'll be able to afford (nor have space) for an aquarium the size you're going to need.

The increments between colors is typically .2, so you're saying YOUR color chart goes from 6.5 to 7.5 with no other color increments between? I'd get a new kit, were it mine, if that was the case. You're talking a factor of 10x.

Listen to WG; talkin' truth.
got an other test kit today the PH according to the colour chart is now showing as 7.0 so my other test kit may have been out a little Ammonia and nitrate both 0

Ask a Question