tropical waterlily question

LindaKay

LindaKay
Reaction score
I haven't had very many tropical lilies and bought one the other day that needs repoted real bad. It has two crowns and is very tight in the pot. I doubt if there is any soil left in the pot. I am wondering if is ok to divide and repot it . It has a bud coming on it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just had some sent to me bare rooted and just potted them. You should be fine, just try not to damage the roots too much. Take a hose and rinse the roots rather than try to untangle them. That will sometimes loosen them. Of just stick the two in a bigger pot.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You forgot addy if they are water lilies use kitty litter not dirt .If they are regular lilies kitty litter even gives they more room to spread out there roots if you have clay soil.Last time I planted lilies in my garden i tried it and they are 2 times the size of the ones I planted 3 weeks earlier .Cats beware you will have no litter .You only get prissy litter cats that is all thats left .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol sissy you are right, didn't ask if they where land or water lilies.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
She does say waterlily in her post but was wondering since some can be planted in water and some in the ground .When it comes to lilies you never know

LindaKay

LindaKay
Reaction score
Yes, waterlilies. That answers my question. I have clay soil so will probably use that. That is what kitty litter is anyway isn't it? I didn't know if it would set it back or make it quit blooming. I will probably wait till this bud blooms. My hubby brought me some very big flat rocks from the creek the other day so I had to make a little pond to set them off. I worked all week in the heat , of course had to go to the creek to get more rocks to top it off with. I have always wanted a night bloomer so had to get one. Can't have a pond without fish so had to buy some fish for it. Bought some fantails and some shubunkins. I can't wait for the lily to bloom. I'll try to get some pictures . Gotta get some batteries for my camera. Thanks for the info.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you use clay from the yard, make sure you cover it with pea gravel or something before you put the pot in the water. The clay will poof out as you lower it into the water and do a cloud job. I use kitty litter, which also poofs out a cloud of white, but it goes away fast.

Ask a Question