Trying to decide how to spend money I don't have yet - HA HA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Y'all may have seen my chipmunk tale on the thread What Does Your Pond Look Like Today. I am getting very close to the actual construction and have everything I need. However - chipmunks have moved into the excavation. I am thinking now that I need to invest in something to put as the very first layer against the ground - to keep them from chewing through. They may never do that. But it will be such a huge pain if they do - trying to move rocks to find a leak. (The pond will be fully rocked in.)
So - I have some options. A 4' x 100' roll of stainless steel #8 hardware cloth costs $872. Yikes.
I also found an 8oz weight underlayment for around 400 or so, I think? Half the price-ish - but still an investment.
I have a little temporary work this spring that could help pay for it. But it is still a big financial decision. What is my risk tolerance?
Would it help to have two layers of heavy underlayment under the liner? I already have one layer but could buy more of that heavy stuff. Would that discourage them? Or is that a waste? Do I bite the bullet and spend that enormous amount of money on hardware cloth?
They live in the waterfall filter hill by the front pond and haven't chewed through anything there - yet.
Spend big money? Spend medium big money? Or just use what I have and take my chances?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Being a gc i got all sorts of bizarre calls from people with some odd issues. I spent one year and whole year chasing squirrels out of a mountain cabin they had siding that was large hand split shakes and the squires found that they could slip in someone of them and once the did that the home was a a frame and they could go just about anywhere in the home but in the wall cavities and joists. Short version all the have a hearts did little the addition of MOTH FLAKES has to be the flakes for some reason got them to almost evac the home over night.

From what i know of chipmunks is that they don't really burro but they can sense lightly compacted or gaps in the soil from washout's etc. they will find a space between rocks and then they will do some digging to complete the home. BEFORE YOU GET FURTHER INTO THE BUILD I WOULD TRY TO PACK ALL THE GAPS IN THE WATERFALL. start with the flakes pack there openings see if it gets them to move on though they maybe breeding about now. change that a quick google and it seems it's may and june. anyways pack the holes with the flakes to get them to leave or if you know there out pack it with concrete or a quick fill could be spray foam but they can cut through that real fast if they so desired.
In short i believe if you have well compacted soils and infill between the rocks with some gravel as your building it should remove there possible homes make a pile of rocks in the back somewhere give them somewhere else to go.

the fabric is tough but i doubt against a rodents teeth it's no match will they i can't say .

another option is that 1/8 fiberglass i have mentioned for rock protection it is covered in a basically an asphalt coating and it's flexible so it will not taste good for them to try to get through will it hold up to there claws ofr a time it would. i think with those little devils a tight backfill is the key. as i have always seen them in rock walls or in tree roots i have never seen them in a field without the rocks or debris piles

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the wire i would think is the your not getting through but what a pain to work with and as soon as you cut it you have potential points that could puncture the liner. even if you didn't cut i'd bet there's some factory edges that are not for a pond liner.

There is another product i have seen Atlantis water garden use and i did a search for it it's called concrete canvass im sure it's probably pretty heavy stuff though i know your pond is right next to the drive way so that may not be too much of an issue for you. I't basically a pvc sheeting flexable but with a concrete powder and fiber mess add water and it's a thin layer of infused concrete. no clue how expensive it is

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I will be following this to see how things progress. As @GBBUDD alluded, “know your enemy,” so I think it’s a great idea to understand the habits and habitats of the critters you are dealing with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Thanks, GBUDD! I actually looked into concrete canvas first. I checked with a place that is supposed to have it locally. The conversation didn't get very far because they are unable to get it now. He said the only place he knows of is in Texas. I emailed them but haven't heard back - I probably need to call. It sounds like that stuff would be even more expensive than the hardware cloth but it doesn't hurt to check! I will look into that a bit more and then maybe I will decide to just hope for the best with what I have. Truly, all the backyards behind us are wild spaces and would be heaven for a chipmunk. They have no need to dig up my pond! Maybe once I get the build going and have everything exposed, they will decide they don't want to be there anymore.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
he knows of is in Texas. I emailed them but haven't heard back
if it is who i believe it is they are the original makers of the canvass and they are for HUGE commercial projects they are probably not interested in the sale of a 100 feet or less.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
TurtleMommy - it needs to be flexible to line all the walls and shelves -- lots of curves and such.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That would do the job i'd think but not very flexible and it is heavy and a pain to cut . if i had to deal with the little buggers i would.

if i knew there was an area where there was a pile of rocks buried underground to one end of the pond that would be an area i would get some concrete to. but any area that was well compacted soils i wouldn't worry too much about it. Like you said they are in the waterfall area and im betting thats rocks stacked on rocks and when the wall was built there was no fill added to the back of the wall to the plastic biofalls making cavities. or chipmunk presidential sweets

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Our neighbor has two that she lets roam freely. I have mixed feelings because they pee on everything (STINKS so bad) and kill lots of birds and bunnies. We also have tons of hawks, owls, and sometimes coyotes! I love our little Wild Kingdom!
The chipmunks are welcome to live in it but they need to agree to not chew up my pond. :LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do your part make sure to compact your soils well maybe dump the hose along the outside as you can find whats not packed well with water

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Our neighbor has two that she lets roam freely. I have mixed feelings because they pee on everything (STINKS so bad) and kill lots of birds and bunnies. We also have tons of hawks, owls, and sometimes coyotes! I love our little Wild Kingdom!
The chipmunks are welcome to live in it but they need to agree to not chew up my pond. :LOL:
I wonder if there is a way to lure them away from making your pond their home base? Maybe find out what they like for their homes and put some food around that area to invite them to move in there rent free.

Safer company makes some kind of repellent that might deter them if you start using it now before they get too attached to your pond area.

Uh oh it appears they like:

All chipmunks prefer an area with large rocks, fallen logs, bushes, and dense undergrowth. This doesn’t just come handy when it comes to food storage, but also protects them from predators, like hawks, foxes, coyotes, and―in urban areas―the house cat. Chipmunks have adapted well to the climate of the regions where they are found. In order to save themselves from cold winters, they go into hibernation for several months, but unlike most of the hibernating animals, they don’t store fats. Instead, they rely on the food stored in their burrows.
-------------------------------------------------------

So it sounds like your pond would be a perfect spot for them to enjoy. Guess you have to make an area w/a lot of big rocks, logs, bushes and covered ground plants and of course a tree nearby just for them to take over away from your pond :oops:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have chipmunks running around they have never bothered any of the ponds. I did not use epdm, I have a layer of carpet padding below the liner.

Ask a Question