Goldfish trying to swim up waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw my goldfish trying to swim up the waterfall today. Found it a bit odd. I have 3 shubs and one comet. Got them a couple of months ago. They were tiny. Probably around 4 inch now. My mum and dad had a goldfish in a small indoor bowl basically for ten years. We decided to put it in the pond so its bigger and better and has other fish to swim with. Just noticed that fish which is a lot bigger than the rest was trying to swim up the falls. Left the water but just fell to the side. First thing I'd say is oxygen. It was a video my partner sent so I screenshot it the best I can so excuse the pictures. With where the waterfall is and plants are would you say there is enough water movement? There are bubbles on the surface. I need to see if the others are doing it. As for water quality it did nothing but rain all day yesterday so I'd say the water should be crystal clear but il test it when I get home. I'm wondering wether to trim one the water starwort back near the falls

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210713-122359_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210713-122359_WhatsApp.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_20210713-122314_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210713-122314_WhatsApp.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot_20210713-122344_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210713-122344_WhatsApp.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 124

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There may be too many plants covering the surface of the pond. 50-60% coverage is good. They could also just be going after any algae on the waterfall. Mine are always trying to climb into the filter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does it look like I have too many plants. I net the duckweed out but with it being summer its multiplying like mad

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Does it look like I have too many plants. I net the duckweed out but with it being summer its multiplying like mad
Hard to tell, but their probably just going after algae or something. I've had fish in my pond for almost a week now, with a good size water fall and 3 aerators (overkill, i know) and they sometimes look like they are trying to climb the waterfall as well. I know aeration isnt a problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had one gold fish who insisted on trying to get up into my waterfall. He succeeded twice. I've got a group in my pond now who hang out there looking like they are trying, but they never really take the jump.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cant see oxygen being a problem. I feed them every other day and today was feeding day so like you said may be after algae. Even tho their is plenty of duckweed to eat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know about goldfish but it's just in some fish's genetics to try and jump up waterfalls. I had a small northern pike in a pond several years ago. I had to turn it loose because i watched him try and jump up the waterfall and end up outside the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't know about goldfish but it's just in some fish's genetics to try and jump up waterfalls. I had a small northern pike in a pond several years ago. I had to turn it loose because i watched him try and jump up the waterfall and end up outside the pond.
I guess that means getting a salmon is out of the question...sigh... :rolleyes:

Ask a Question