Trying to catch fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I started with 6 in a 750 gal.pond.Now I have 26.I found someone ti take them but after 1 Hr. we only caught 4.They are so fast that it is really difficult to catch.We are using two nets.If anyone has a better way please share.Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have't tried the minnow trap yet as when I'm catching koi fry, I want every single last one of them.......so I drop the pond level. PITA, but only thing I've found to work for me.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Someone mentioned about going out at night with a flashlight to catch them because they wont see the net. I haven't tried it yet. If you do, let me know if it works! ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well I have a lot of gunck on the bottom of the pond so this is a good time to clean the bottom which will lower the watter level.Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Been there...years ago I was moving my fish to a larger pond. They outgrew the old one. It was real difficult as you found out. I was getting rid of the small pond, so as others have stated, I had to drain it down to catch them all.
The flashlight at night idea sounds interesting.
Anyway, let us know how you make out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Someone mentioned about going out at night with a flashlight to catch them because they wont see the net. I haven't tried it yet. If you do, let me know if it works! ;)
I believe I said that before and right now with the waters still on the cold side here in new England the fish are a little slow in decision making. I caught two a half hour ago a 18 ÷- inch albino cat fish and an inexpensive koi I bought as a cycle fish. I have attended least 8 fish at the moment that will be going back to the store when we get past this. i am very happy building the little upper pond it makes a great isolation tank. i use aqua blocks which you can see in a couple of the latest videos. Sorry back to catching the fish yes blind them with the flash light it helps A LOT when someone keeps the light on the fish and my favorite net is the big flat round one scoop under them they see an opening over it then tip it up once the fins are in the net they are MUCH SLOWER.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have about 100 goldfish I need to catch from adults to babies. Not sure how I'm going to do it. Pond is 6ft deep and 7k gallons. I drained it once before and REALLY don't want to do that again.

I bought some "minnow" traps. I may give that a shot. Do you bait the traps with anything to get them to go in?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The babies can be relatively easy but can take some time.
Here is a easy dyi project . You'll need a five gallon water jug. a means to cut the water jug. I used a jig saw. A drill and some zip ties a rock and some rope

1. About 3 inches down from where the water bottle starts to narrow cut the top off.

2. Place a baseball sized rock inside the bottom half or a good handful of small rocks you'll want those to sink the bottle when placing it in the pond and to keep it from floating around.

3. Spin the top around and slip it into the the bottom half, as the lower picture shows .

4. Drill some small holes large enough for a zip tie to secure the two pieces together. drill as many as you feel you need to make it so the fish cant swim out.

5. Tie a rope onto the handle.

6. Put some food into the bottle through the neck opening .

7. Place your new babies trap horizontally into the pond. And check often..

Last option throw a wide mouth bass in there untill the population reaches your desired level. Go fishing when it's time to remove him but that could be battle on his own it's not easy to catch a fish that's not hungry. I was actually thinking about a blue gill if HE was in the pond there would be no babies and the larger desired fish would be to big to eat.

Attachments

• Samsung Notes.PDF
    697.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
How big are the fish? If big enough I would just Go fishing in the pond with barbless hooks for the fish. It’s how I have moved fish in and out of my various ponds without any issues, but that is just me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have about 100 goldfish I need to catch from adults to babies. Not sure how I'm going to do it. Pond is 6ft deep and 7k gallons. I drained it once before and REALLY don't want to do that again.

I bought some "minnow" traps. I may give that a shot. Do you bait the traps with anything to get them to go in?
Good idea! Bait the traps with a small piece of bacon if you don't have bacon use a piece of hotdog.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just need to move them into a big rubbermaid holding tub.

I'm thinking, a nice Saturday, a 12pack and some small barbless hooks.

Ask a Question