Tula's BBB ( baby bog build )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Been awhile since I've posted an update on our baby bog. Well it looked pretty funky at the end of the season, so decided we needed to check it out. We gently raked off the layer of dried muck on top of the gravel and dug down a bit. Didn't notice anything amiss in the gravel itself.

We next opened the clean out valves and put the hose on high jet stream.

OH MY HEAVENS !! The clean out valves are 2 inches in diameter and we were shocked to see what looked like a fat black snack spiraling from it.....pure putrid gunk :( One side was really blocked, so we recapped one of the valves and forced the water through the other pipe....same result. It also was quite smelly!!

I'll replant some of the plants we removed today and get some fresh pea gravel. Obviously our bog pipes get clogged.....so we'll have to think about doing this periodically. Really wished I'd video taped it, it was shocking !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good to see you , Interesting story

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Been awhile since I've posted an update on our baby bog. Well it looked pretty funky at the end of the season, so decided we needed to check it out. We gently raked off the layer of dried muck on top of the gravel and dug down a bit. Didn't notice anything amiss in the gravel itself.

We next opened the clean out valves and put the hose on high jet stream.

OH MY HEAVENS !! The clean out valves are 2 inches in diameter and we were shocked to see what looked like a fat black snack spiraling from it.....pure putrid gunk :( One side was really blocked, so we recapped one of the valves and forced the water through the other pipe....same result. It also was quite smelly!!

I'll replant some of the plants we removed today and get some fresh pea gravel. Obviously our bog pipes get clogged.....so we'll have to think about doing this periodically. Really wished I'd video taped it, it was shocking !
1646182802962.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, taking a break from shoveling pea gravel- ugh ! We've discovered a significant break in the PVC at the bottom of the bog near the junction where the pond water enters the bog.

Our lives changed big time last summer, when I became a grandparent at nearly 64......unexpected blessing. She was born early and spent a month in the NICU and I've been out of state many months of the year,,,,which probably contributed to us not finding this problem earlier.

We've discussed it and are removing the bog:(. Hubby is older then me and is the one who does the plumbing and I don't want him redoing the plumbing. Now the question is if we'll just return the area to the garden it once was, or create a little stream. Honestly if I knew a nice pond keeper that would give my koi a good home,I'd be fine just having the pond as a water garden.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well, taking a break from shoveling pea gravel- ugh ! We've discovered a significant break in the PVC at the bottom of the bog near the junction where the pond water enters the bog.

Our lives changed big time last summer, when I became a grandparent at nearly 64......unexpected blessing. She was born early and spent a month in the NICU and I've been out of state many months of the year,,,,which probably contributed to us not finding this problem earlier.

We've discussed it and are removing the bog:(. Hubby is older then me and is the one who does the plumbing and I don't want him redoing the plumbing. Now the question is if we'll just return the area to the garden it once was, or create a little stream. Honestly if I knew a nice pond keeper that would give my koi a good home,I'd be fine just having the pond as a water garden.
Oh my what a bummer! Don't feel bad you can choose to do whatever you like and at our ages sometimes things are easier just to do it the simple way.

That's why no bog for me and just a few goldfish
1646250024536.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Oh my what a bummer! Don't feel bad you can choose to do whatever you like and at our ages sometimes things are easier just to do it the simple way.

That's why no bog for me and just a few goldfish View attachment 148089
I have to reply to this one:) I am going to be 70 in April and I feel every one of those years, especially in my back..I have downsized everything and really appreciate less bills, ect...I know my pond is small (900 gallons) but it is so much easier for me to reach to pull out leaves ect...I would love to have koi but my Shubies are a lot of fun and I don't have to worry about them as much as I did koi...If I were younger I would definitely have had a bog after hearing all of the reviews here on them but it is no longer an option for me....Just getting down to pull out a trapped leaf is hard at times (and you don't want to see me trying to get back up! LOL)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have to reply to this one:) I am going to be 70 in April and I feel every one of those years, especially in my back..I have downsized everything and really appreciate less bills, ect...I know my pond is small (900 gallons) but it is so much easier for me to reach to pull out leaves ect...I would love to have koi but my Shubies are a lot of fun and I don't have to worry about them as much as I did koi...If I were younger I would definitely have had a bog after hearing all of the reviews here on them but it is no longer an option for me....Just getting down to pull out a trapped leaf is hard at times (and you don't want to see me trying to get back up! LOL)
I totally relate and w/o my Curcumin, Resveratrol, Omega 3's and any other supplements I take that have anti- inflammatory ingreds in them I would have been toast long ago. Also I do my exercises each morning and then my long 6 mile walks every day and lugging this and that home now and then. If I stop moving I might just turn to dust :joyful:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hubby will be 71 in April and I'm 64. I'm sad about this development, but think it's the right decision for us. We also have extensive gardens and a pool......I think we have to down size when given the opportunity. Hubby has offered to replumb ( bless his heart) but I know it'll still be a job caring for the pond and adult koi.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I looked up that plant, it is a sedum, stringy stonecrop I need to find some love that look!
dang shortest lived bog ....... sorry to hear ....... glad to hear grandma.............couldn't have just slipped a pvc coupling on the break and have the system run again?............... Those numbers sound so far away but in reality they are only around the corner...

Last edited:

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about your bog, but glad you posted an update.
I keep telling myself that age is just a number, but when I go to move rocks that I was able to move before my body tells me it's more than that!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bummer about your bog. I did the bog flush once, only clean water came out never did it again. Have never seen a need, it just works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Yes, we thought about repairing the pipe, but honestly removing all this yucky gravel has been back breaking work and I don't think it'll get easier as we age.

I did have success with my DIY plant floaters, so will pursue more of them this season :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, we thought about repairing the pipe, but honestly removing all this yucky gravel has been back breaking work and I don't think it'll get easier as we age.

I did have success with my DIY plant floaters, so will pursue more of them this season :)
definitely not. hope it works out for you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, we finished removing the gravel, then the liner and underlayment. We used some of the gravel on our walk ways and dumped what remained back into the hole......we're expecting rain the next couple of days so it'll get rinsed off. When we began removing it, we were cleaning the gravel, but quickly tired of that - LOL !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Forgot to mention an observation while digging out the gravel. I was amazed at the depth , strength and scope of Water Willow roots !! They were everywhere and clear down to the bottom of the bog.....I'd go so far as saying they were borderline invasive in our little bog.

Ask a Question