Tula's BBB ( baby bog build )

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - wet feet seems to make them happiest. We started ours as a marginal and it survived but never really thrived. Over the course of a couple of years it slowly moved itself to the very edge where it's damp but not actually in water. I love cardinal flower - that red is so remarkable!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Pond water level has been dropping :( We're going to top off the pond this evening and turn off the bog, to rule it out.

I've seen several small moles and many chipmunks around the pond, so am hoping they haven't been munching on the liner:oops:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pond water level has been dropping :( We're going to top off the pond this evening and turn off the bog, to rule it out.

I've seen several small moles and many chipmunks around the pond, so am hoping they haven't been munching on the liner:oops:
keeping my fingers crossed for you . i went through that earlier this year with the upper pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, the water level didn't drop over night. Hubby said he played around with the water path from the bog to the pond the other day, so am really hoping it's something that obvious. However, I closed the gate valve on the bog when I turned off the pump last night so the bog would drop but not drain......well it sure looks like it drained :(

Just another thing to check out....remind me why we love our ponds/ bog ? ! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Write it all down keep a diary if not a spread chart and what you did when it will help with the frustration trying to remember in a big way

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did you seam your overlaps of the liners . Or did you just overlap the liners and how high above water level in the pond liner where they over lap

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Did you seam your overlaps of the liners . Or did you just overlap the liners and how high above water level in the pond liner where they over lap
Well forget what I said about it definitely being the bog....we're back to trying to figure it out :( We did not seam the liners, they are very overlapped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
https://youtu.be/6P8F1VSC1Qs

Found the leak ! It must have worsened...truly we're not THAT blind ! LOL Pond water has been dropping like a stone :(

We may also have a small issue with the bog running into the pond, not sure. In this picture you can see the pond liner ( it's old and under rocks )......hoping the over lap of bog liner will work as there isn't enough pond liner to seam them.
IMG_3674.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad you found the leak and hope you have enough liner to overlap and fix your bog issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Glad you found the leak and hope you have enough liner to overlap and fix your bog issue.
We have plenty of bog liner....but the pond lin
er is quite old. Fortunately it goes under those large rocks.....so finger crossed we should be ok. We just can never really figure out how to have it spill back ito the pond without the liner showing.....but I'd rather that, then have it leak.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe rock on a roll covered in moss? Think someone mentioned there is moss that grows in sunshine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Maybe rock on a roll covered in moss? Think someone mentioned there is moss that grows in sunshine.
I think @GBBUDD mentioned using foam on rubber, then pressing moss into it.

Just in from netting debris and trying to top off the pond again. I just want to get everything running again as I worry about my koi in this heat. I added my larger 40 lpm aerator to the 20 that was already running, since the filter and bog aren't running right now.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep that's where I heard about the moss. Might work for you.
Aerator should really help w/the heat issues. Could always erect a shade too.

Ask a Question