Tula's BBB ( baby bog build )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Yep that's where I heard about the moss. Might work for you.
Aerator should really help w/the heat issues. Could always erect a shade too.
We have a shade sail over the pond already...but probably even more shade would help :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes i have moss all over the pond . I love moss more then I do flowers for the most part anyways. And yes if you have non woven fabric and you let it touch the water it will wick just enough where certain types of poss with thrive in the sun 5 to 6 hours anyways . I dont have full sun. I also have moss in the sun that grows like a weed there are so many types out there its trial and error. The moss that is Brite green that looks like a putting green. grows slowly but has done well in the sun at the edge of the pond so it has all the water it needs. have to be careful with the fabric it can create a leak.
And using waterfall foam when you discharge the foam and force the foam to push its way out over the rubber it will stick and it makes for a great base to set moss on as it will also have some water in it and thats what moss wants constant water it does not have to be a lot

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The overlap of the two liners and keeping the water where you want it and not where it will leak out is daunting to many. Here's what I have learned you want to have the actual spill stone where the water falls over set back from the two rocks one off to each side. And in front of the spill rock. This way you have the liner out infront of the waterfall and the splash is caught by the Character stones to each side. or the several stones stacked up too make the characterstones. then you can fold the liner up onto the character stones which will be out in front of the falks and when you do bring it up put a little water fall foam between the liner and the character stone to insure the water does not go behind the character stones and flows over the center stone where you want it and can see it. hope this helps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The overlap of the two liners and keeping the water where you want it and not where it will leak out is daunting to many. Here's what I have learned you want to have the actual spill stone where the water falls over set back from the two rocks one off to each side. And in front of the spill rock. This way you have the liner out infront of the waterfall and the splash is caught by the Character stones to each side. or the several stones stacked up too make the characterstones. then you can fold the liner up onto the character stones which will be out in front of the falks and when you do bring it up put a little water fall foam between the liner and the character stone to insure the water does not go behind the character stones and flows over the center stone where you want it and can see it. hope this helps
I wish I could visualize this!!! I'm sure it's simple, but I just can picture it - ugh ! We have tons of rocks and extra bog liner....but the waterfall pipe runs under the bog area that flows to the pond and we don't have extra pond liner....those are our constraints.

We started the bog last night, just wanting it running and not caring how it looked. One concern was if the koi jumped onto the exposed liner....so we folded it back a bit.

Today we decided to drain the sand and gravel filter while making the pipe repair. I heard some swearing from that direction ...and hubby said he's having trouble getting the pipes to realign....... he's currently off at Lowes.

Happy Fathers Day to all :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it realy is easy to add more liner to the pond section old or not. the only time its quite challenging is when you have lots of wrinkles. .
The pipes to return water to the pond go away

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think @GBBUDD mentioned using foam on rubber, then pressing moss into
Here are some of the mosses and how they do in full sun.
first photo is one of the best it is sitting on a flat rock where the water is just running over the rock. The moss gets 8 hrs min of sun and it has trippled in size this year alone . and the damn birds keep plucking at it looking for bugs under it.
second photo I have no clue but it to sees 4 hrs
Third photo
Irish moss it just touches the water but the main plant is raised and has about 4 hours sun
4th photo one I can find at the local nursery in zone 6 it gets 6 to 8 hours its irish moss it has white flowers and it is sitting above the water line on non woven that wicks water to its roots.
second to last is the bog that just got ripped apart a month back now and is still recovering everything was removed from the island to seam the liners from the addition " What we call dead pool and the pond.
The last photo shows some other moss that I have seen underwater in rain events and survive there for months its the stary shaped shoots and it to had doubled in size this year

20200621_105404.jpg
20200621_101807.jpg
20200621_101745.jpg

20200621_105303.jpg
20200621_101615.jpg
20200621_101448.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD What is that neat vine looking plant with the yellow flowers? love it! And love your moss!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think I have some of what is in picture #4, what is it called? It grows on a large rock towards the end of our deck, not far from the pond. Will it grow nicely by the pond's edge, if so I'm going to transplant some :)

Your mosses are gorgeous, I love moss too. The sun hits our pond at a certain time in the morning and it beautifully illuminates the moss behind and around our water fall.

Tonight, we're both just relieved everything is up and running and fingers crossed, not leaking! We'll turn our attention to aesthetics this week.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I looked up that plant, it is a sedum, stringy stonecrop I need to find some love that look!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD What is that neat vine looking plant with the yellow flowers? love it! And love your moss!
If i had to guess its a type of sedum its native around here and is very invasive it grows like a weed I'll add it. At least half of my plants are from samples of stuff i find all over particuraly the mosses. But it is not a bog plant. though some has grown into the edge of the pond . The plant is actually very droubt tolerant . I believe tula just said she had some growing on some rocks which is where i got mine it was on a section of exposed ledge. I have it growing a a concrete wall thats covered by the liner and then fabric I doubt any water wicks up to the top as its about a foot above the water line.

Last edited:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep a sedum drought tolerant. One way to kill them is to water too much lol, stringy stonecrop per the net

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Hello @Tula , I was looking through this a while ago, and today when getting ready to order/go get rock for my pond build I saw the rock you used to hide the liner and wondered what type of rock that is, cause it does look like a very nice stacking rock.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hello @Tula , I was looking through this a while ago, and today when getting ready to order/go get rock for my pond build I saw the rock you used to hide the liner and wondered what type of rock that is, cause it does look like a very nice stacking rock.
Hmmmmm, let me put my thinking cap on ad also check with hubby. I know we bought it from a landscaping place when we were doing landscaping around the pool last summer.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Hmmmmm, let me put my thinking cap on ad also check with hubby. I know we bought it from a landscaping place when we were doing landscaping around the pool last summer.
interesting! and thanks for checking :)

Ask a Question