JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I noticed last week that one of my fish's tail was a little shredded. The week before, it wasn't. I've tested the water and everything was fine except the ph was 8.2, which is much higher than it's ever tested. Last year, it was 7.8. Today, I noticed another fish's tail fin was shredded, and just two days ago, it wasn't. I'm not really sure what the cause is or what should be done. Is the high ph causing it, or is that unrelated? All the fish have been active and acting normal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't think 8.2 PH is too high, but if it's higher then what's typical for your pond and IF you have higher then normal ammonia levels, that could be a problem.

Have you started feeding? If so, I'd stop, or cut back, till you figure things out.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Have you checked all of your pond's parameters. Shredded fins or fin rot is a sign of stressed fish and poor water quality. If you treat early enough, Melafix should be provide satisfactory results.

Tested ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Don't have numbers with me right now, but all were the same as usual, though like I said I wasn't sure if ph 8.2 was OK because it's always been around 7.8. If I remember right, ammonia was not 0 but it was low, the same as it's always been. Nitrite definitely was 0, and if I remember right, Nitrate was 0 or low.

Can Melafix be put directly into the pond or..?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes. Follow the directions on the bottle. A foam will form but is harmless and will quickly dissipate and the water may discolor....harmless.
You need to determine the source of the stress. Have the fish spawned recently?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Could it be damage from spawning? Our fish were going crazy this morning - the goldfish and shubbies were chasing and the koi were following right behind, hopefully gobbling up the eggs as fast as they were laying them.

Wait... do fish "lay" eggs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm having a small Uh-oh -- but it's Uh-Oh? With a question mark. A week and a half ago, I added four fish from a friend's pond. All healthy. Everything seems to be good with all -- but one is hiding a lot. I recently discovered babies of two different sizes, so some sort of "action" has been going on in the pond. I'm hoping this fish is just a poor, menopausal lady fish, hiding out from those persistent menfolk fish. I hope he or she isn't sick or being bullied. It hangs out in the skimmer (Helix -- fish safe.) I was looking for it and found it in there. When I reached my hand down, it swam out and made a few rounds of the pond with the rest of the gang and seemed fine. Then went back to the hideout.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes. Follow the directions on the bottle. A foam will form but is harmless and will quickly dissipate and the water may discolor....harmless.
You need to determine the source of the stress. Have the fish spawned recently?

No, they haven't been spawning yet. At least not while I've been outside. I've been trying to think of anything that could lead to it, but everything's just about the same as always. I did consider the possibility of mallards bringing disease, but they've been using the pond considerably less this year since the female is nesting next to it. She lays on her nest all day and the male doesn't stick around.

Could it be damage from spawning?

Initially, I was hoping that was the case. I've never heard of torn fins from spawning, but there is plenty that I don't yet know. After I tested the water, I've been watching them for the past week to see if they were, but I haven't noticed them chasing. When I saw the second fish with a few tears in the tail fin today, it definitely alerted me that there may be more going on.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've never heard of torn fins from spawning,
My goldfish have long tail fins that get torn after spawning. This is a picture from last year - you can see the sarasa's torn tail fin. After a while the fins mend themselves - until they start spawning again. This guy is 11 years old and his fins have recovered every year.

koi and sarasa - lemon, shelby (1).JPG

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My goldfish have long tail fins that get torn after spawning. This is a picture from last year - you can see the sarasa's torn tail fin. After a while the fins mend themselves - until they start spawning again. This guy is 11 years old and his fins have recovered every year.

View attachment 99182

Huh, interesting. I'd love for it to be that simple. Hopefully it is.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
By the way, both fish are suddenly healing. I didn't even get a chance to pick up Melafix. I had some from years ago but it just recently expired, so I planned to get some this past weekend, but I thought I noticed healing last Thursday so I didn't pick any up. Today I can tell there has been significant healing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patinmb

Latest Threads