Unable to find leaking pond source, any ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Mmathis said:
Is twenty gallons a week really an OK amount? Sounds like a lot to me. I do water changes, and will drain off a little extra sometimes if we get a lot of rain, but so far haven't had an issue with evaporation. Maybe that's one of the perks of our southern humidity ;)
Thanks for commenting. Getting good suggestions so hope I can get this problem resolved. I am hoping it isn't a bottom leak.

Regards..........Ralph

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can I ask if the pond cement was sealed or anything after it was built .I had a huge fountain(the base was a square and was 12x12 ft and 2 ft deep ) in NJ and had to reseal it every 2 years but of course it was above ground and i don't know much about cement ponds at all .I know it needed lots of water every week from evaporation and it was in shade from a tree for more than half a day .

Reaction score
Do you have an external filter? If you do, turn off the pump and see if the water still drops.

Replacing 20 gallons a week is a nice water change.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You have quite a few growing plants in the pond, they got to use some water to look that good

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
20 gallons a week seems rather a huge amount of water to be loosing to evapouration.
Is there a way you could perhaps colour the water so that it shows any leaks say using acriflavin which is bright yellow and see if this colour appears anywhere outside of the pond or outside any joints in your filter.
Weve just gone through two weeks of scorching weather here in the UK up in the 29-30c bracket and I doubt I was loosing that amount.

rgds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
sissy said:
Can I ask if the pond cement was sealed or anything after it was built .I had a huge fountain(the base was a square and was 12x12 ft and 2 ft deep ) in NJ and had to reseal it every 2 years but of course it was above ground and i don't know much about cement ponds at all .I know it needed lots of water every week from evaporation and it was in shade from a tree for more than half a day .
I don't recall if it was sealed or not. This pond was built supposedly by a reputable pond builder. I didn't know much about ponds and when it was completed it was real nice except later found out it was too shallow, 2 1/2 feet at its deepest and it was built like a kidney shaped swimming pool, deep on one end shallow in the other with rounded sides. They also installed inside a shed a filter that was meant for house use, one with replaceable cartridges which clogged constantly. I replaced the filter several times and ended up with an in-pond biological filter which I have recently replaced due to difficulty for a 79 year old to clean. Pretty but troublesome. Sorry for ranting.

Regards...........Ralph

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
shakaho said:
Do you have an external filter? If you do, turn off the pump and see if the water still drops.

Replacing 20 gallons a week is a nice water change.
I do have an external filter that I installed recently. Everything is new but I still checked thoroughly to see if any of the new hose or connections were leaking and they were not. The filter is partially exposed and hoses are easy to check for leaks as they are only covered by bark. I will try with the pump on first then with the pump off however; what I am not sure of is how long I can leave the pump off without harming the fish.
Thanks for you input...............Ralph

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Dave 54 said:
20 gallons a week seems rather a huge amount of water to be loosing to evapouration.
Is there a way you could perhaps colour the water so that it shows any leaks say using acriflavin which is bright yellow and see if this colour appears anywhere outside of the pond or outside any joints in your filter.
Weve just gone through two weeks of scorching weather here in the UK up in the 29-30c bracket and I doubt I was loosing that amount.

rgds

Dave
Hi Dave, yes 20 gallons is a lot of water and my gut feeling is that the pond is leaking somewhere and hoping it is not in the lower part of the pond. See my reply to shakaho explaining my filter/fittings status. Not real hot where I live so I'm a bit nervous on what I am going to find out is the cause.

Regards..........Ralph

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
DrCase said:
You have quite a few growing plants in the pond, they got to use some water to look that good
Hello DrCase, yes there are quite a few plants in such a small pond. I am hoping it is use/evaporation and not leaking but I am a bit pessimistic right now.

Regards..........Ralph

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
slakker said:
Concrete isn't waterproof, so if its not sealed, water will seep through it, so that would be a concern.
It definitely is a concern that may end up being the problem. I think I am in for big trouble as repairs would be expensive.

Thanks slakker.............Ralph

Ask a Question