Under gravel filters: upflow vs downflow?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for the input. I thought the idea of the bog was to clean the gunk from the pond? I dont know how much resitance a bog adds to the water flow. Could I use an air pump to pump up from the suction grid to a open top filter sitting just above the top of the pond. Then the water would filter down and into the pipes of the bog or would the bog pipes be to much resistance and the water would just overflow the top of the filter? For a filter I was just thinking a few layers of filter pads. I have this now in my stream and it flows very well but its not going down into a pressure grid under a bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Think we're talking about too many different things here.

Believe most common way to do undergravel suction to bog is to run two sets of grid pipes at bottom of pond. Half of pond = suction grid which returns to other half of pond which = pressure grid (i.e. bog). Should be able to do this with an air lift.

You could do the same to remote/raised bog, but you would want to keep TDH very low by only lifting water a tiny bit above water level, have lots of outlets in the bog piping so as not to restrict flow, and keep pipe runs short.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks for the input. I thought the idea of the bog was to clean the gunk from the pond? I dont know how much resitance a bog adds to the water flow. Could I use an air pump to pump up from the suction grid to a open top filter sitting just above the top of the pond. Then the water would filter down and into the pipes of the bog or would the bog pipes be to much resistance and the water would just overflow the top of the filter? For a filter I was just thinking a few layers of filter pads. I have this now in my stream and it flows very well but its not going down into a pressure grid under a bog.

No bog isn’t a mechanical filter it needs something before it. Fines are no big deal and yes will settle out in the bog clearing the pond and the plants in the bog will prevent green water as well as reduce nitrates.

The open top filter may work initially, but eventually I imagine that is going to be the path of least resistance for the water going into the bog and will over flow the top of the filter. No longer forcing water down into and up through the bog. This will be due to roots as plants grow clogging the gravel and some fines building up on the gravel with the roots as well. Also where is the water going to go feeding the open top filter when the filter pads clog reducing the flow into the bog, usually where it goes is over the sides of the open top filter if I am understanding what you are trying to do.

Anyhow, my point of responding is to let you know that pulling water from the pond bottom where everything tends to settle and sending it to the bog while it can be done really should it be done. As it is Going to cause premature clogging of the bog.
You want to send nutrient rich water to the pond

Reaction score
Country
Canada
That what I love about this forum, lots of good information. I think I will stick with a convetinal electric pump to keep my pressure and flow up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i tried to come up with a way to get air lift to work with a bog but there's no long term solution. now if you had the entire pond circled by bog and i am talking like 6 or 8 feet wide around a swimming pool. the air lift idea may work but i really don't see it ever building up the pressures, that are needed. Could it help a traditional bog yeah YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TO MANY PLANTS AND IF YOU CAN GET WATER TO GET PULLED past the roots all the better.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Got to know… how did this work out? I would love to convert my koi pond into a shallow garden pond with tropicals and plants… sand would be amazing even if just in parts.. does the upflow pressure keep the sand clean from algae and does it settle back down well? I would filter outside, and return under the sand…. In the lagoon section..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Got to know… how did this work out? I would love to convert my koi pond into a shallow garden pond with tropicals and plants… sand would be amazing even if just in parts.. does the upflow pressure keep the sand clean from algae and does it settle back down well? I would filter outside, and return under the sand…. In the lagoon section..

I haven't turned it on yet! :oops:

Ask a Question